Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

LG 50PS30 problems. TV turns on and I get audio but it displays

LG 50PS30 problems. TV turns on and I get audio but it displays a fuzzy picture the bottom 1/8 has a black line from left to right horizontal.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
If you press MENU on the TV when the problem is occurring, does the MENU display normally on the full screen?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Here is a shot of start up

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Here is the screen after 2 hours of running

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the pictures, but I still need the specific answers to the questions I asked.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Menu shakes with the screen.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the reply.

Do you have a Meter and are you able to go inside the set and measure the Vs and Va voltages while the problem is occurring?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I do have a voltage meter just need to know what to set it to and what to touch.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
Use a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) set to DC volts, put the Black probe of the Meter on an RCA jack shield on the back of the TV, then use the Red probe and probe all of the Outputs for voltage (correct voltages will be stamped on the power supply at the outputs). Do this with NOTHING connected to the Power supply but AC power, the Mainboard, and the little board that houses the Power Switch. If a voltage is missing/ fluctuating, then the power board needs to be replaced.

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

So I pulled the back cover off powered it back on but I dont see any output voltage anywhere on the boards

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
On the power supply is the board that you're looking at. There should at the very least be Vs or Va stamped on the board near some of the connector pics. If not, then set your meter to DC volts and probe all of the pins. Let me know what voltages you find.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok, When you talk about pins im lost. Which is are the pins. The stuff in the AV hookups or else where. Here is what I see

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
The power supply is in the middle of the TV. The pins are when you remove the plug in connectors- is what they plug into. I'm assuming you've never worked on a TV before?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Nope no real TV experience only Motoherboards and LCD monitors are the closest. Pins for me are what the cables plug into from each feed.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
Okay, center board is the power supply. Remove all connectors except the ones that go to the Mainboard (the board with the RCA connectors). Then press power, and probe the pine (what's left when you unplug the connectors), for voltages. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ok power supply looks good. Both left and right pins read the same. So maybe one of the side components?

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
What did you get for readings my friend?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I set the DCV at 1000 and here are the reading from each side. Both are identical on either side.

VS 200

VS 200

NV-No Pin

GND 0

VA 60

VA 60

GND 0

M5v 6

M5v 6

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
Perfect! Okay your voltages look good. The issue that is causing the distorted image when the set is first powered up, is the Sustain boards. Those are the large boards with multiple heat sinks on the the left and right sides of the TV. You would want to look at them as brake pads on a car, and replace both sides. If you need links to these boards let me know.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

eBr61830002 Left side sticker

eBr58838402 Right Side Sticker

Got those on jimmy. Hope that fixes it. Oh BTW when removing the back metal panel be careful as the edges are like razors so don't slide your fingers across it...

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
Oh yes, I've sliced my fingers good on speaker baskets, and the insides of TV's too. In the rare case that those boards don't cure the issue, then also look at the Scan board (the long thin one) all the way to the left. The scan usually doesn't cause these issues however, and this does look like Sustain boards.

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.