Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

My TV does not power on. When power button is pressed light

Customer Question

My TV does not power on. When power button is pressed light flashes red 2 times. What could be the problem?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?
Was it after a storm or power outage?
Also does the light blink 2 times, then go out?
Or blink 2 times, pause, 2 times, pause, etc.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This TV did not work when I got it. I do not know the history.

Flashes 2 times pause 2 times pause etc.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

I assume you're looking to repair this yourself?

Have you checked the voltages from the power supply board to see if any are missing or shorted?

Additionally, when you press power, does the screen light up even for a second?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am looking to repair it myself. I have not checked anything yet. I do have a multi meter.

The screen does not light up at all.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The 2 blink code indicates over current protection of the power supply board. This could be due to a faulty supply, or another board- like the inverter causing a short.

Use a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) set to DC volts, put the Black probe of the Meter on an RCA jack shield on the back of the TV, then use the Red probe and probe all of the Outputs for voltage (correct voltages will be stamped on the power supply at the outputs). You should have 5, 12 and 24 VDC at these outputs. Do this with NOTHING connected to the Power supply but AC power, the Mainboard, and the little board that houses the Power Switch. If a voltage is missing/ fluctuating, then the power board needs to be replaced.
If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have 3.3 volts at AC_OFF_DET and STBY. No power at any other pins. I tested with all boards and backlite disconnected.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
So the set has standby voltage, and that is it. Then you've got a bad power board. Replace that and you should have a working TV.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Can you keep this open until I replace the power board if I have any other issues?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The question stays open anyways even once it's rated, and you can reply back at anytime at no additional charge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Aric,

I replaced the power supply board on my NSX-32GT1 Sony. Still have the same issue. When power button is pressed green light stays on for 15 seconds, backlight tries to come on the a second then power light goes red and flashes 2 times repeatedly. With all wries disconnected from power supply I only have standby power.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Are you leaving the Mainboard connected to the Power Supply when you check for voltages, and additionally, are you getting this 2 blink error as soon as the set is plugged in, or only after the power button is pressed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mainboard not plugged in. 2 blinks after power button is pressed. When I plug in the tv I hear a relay click.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, you always need the Mainboard plugged in, or the Turn On command for the power supply is not present and no other voltages will be present.

I had stated to leave the mainboard plugged in, in my original answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My Bad.

Looks like I am not getting 12v at pin #6 from connector from power supply to main board.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Are any other voltages present besides standby, and are you using a common ground like an RCA shield to ground your meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All other voltages are present. I am grounding the meter to the ground wire on the chassis

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The Mainboard on your set is what is causing the short to the 12 volt line on the power supply and is why your set will not power up. If we had tested with Main connected before then this would have changed the original diagnosis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I admit I read your message wrong and I do not blame u.

Is the board I need to replace the A-1783-118-A ?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is the correct part number for the Mainboard. This board contains the PS_ON command and engages the power supply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I apologize for mistake on my part.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
No apologies needed at all my friend! You're very welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Aric, I installed a used main board. Now both the timer and power lights are on steady and I cannot turn on the TV.

BTW: I do not have the remote.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
What happens when you press the power button on the TV specifically, is there a relay click or any signs of life at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing happens at all.

When I plug it in I hear a relay click. When I unplug the TV the lights stay on for a few seconds then I hear a relay on the power board clicking fast several times then it stops.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, this could be caused by one of the boards being defective, or another board acting as a short.

You would want to unplug the TV, then disconnect the T-Con and the Inverter board. Then plug the set back in and see if you get any response from the power button.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is the inverter board the one under the main board with the large heat sink?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
No sorry, that is the USB board/Digital Main. This set uses an LED driver instead of an Inverter. Can you please post a picture of the back of the TV here with the rear panel removed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I basically unplugged everything except the power supply to main board and have the same result.

Also checked some voltages on power supply, pin 8 and 9 I believe should have 12 volts but only have .3 and pin 13 which is vcc only has .3 volts. Standby still at 3.3

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
So you still are missing power supply voltages even with only the mainboard connected?

When you first replaced the supply, did the TV attempt to power up even for a second?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Question 1 is yes.

#2 back light flashed for a split second then 2 flashes repeatedly with both power supply boards. Then we tried the main board.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, this unfortunately sounds like a bad power supply board, but what isn't making sense is that the mainboard changed the symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I agree it doesn't make sence.

I am going to reinstall all the original boards and start the testing process again. I'm to deep in the TV to stop now.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Alright that sounds good and let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Aric, I finally got back to this TV. Sony NSX-32GT1. Standby light flashes 2 times continuously.

I plugged in the TV and tested the main connector at the power supply before I attempted to turn it on. I had all the proper voltage. When I tried to turn it on the screen flashed for a split second and I had no power at the main connector then 2 flashes started.

The second main board I tried both the standby and timer lights are green continuously and when I unplug the tv a relay clicks several times then it shuts down.

Do I have 2 bad main boards? What about the processor board?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Neil Rowe replied 1 year ago.
Hi

2 Blinks is an over current fault... Not usually the power supply but can be just about any other board in the set...

In your case it does sound like possibly a mother board issue and that you may have two faulty Mother boards at the moment (by virtue of the different faults..)

Did you try completely reassembling the set with the new MB to test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes i did. The second main board I tried both the standby and timer lights are green continuously and when I unplug the tv a relay clicks several times then it shuts down.

Expert:  Neil Rowe replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like that mother board has a different fault I'm afraid...

There is obviously a point of difference between the two boards as they power up differently...

The replacement board is not coming out of standby by the sounds... Indicates a problem with IO interface (ie not seeing the power button)...

If you a component level capable then you should get one good board out of the two
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I wish I knew how to test the components. I am capable of soldering.

Expert:  Neil Rowe replied 1 year ago.
You may be able to do simple things like exchange chips that are in sockets.. A firmware issue can make the TV do this... Just mark any parts you change so you know which came from which board...

Where did you get the MB from, will they take it back?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't know where to start. LOL

Expert:  Neil Rowe replied 1 year ago.
Will they take the Motherboard back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They gave me a refund and told me to keep it.

Expert:  Neil Rowe replied 1 year ago.
I would try sourcing another then...

You have nothing to lose by trying to swap out parts...