Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS

Samsung Hls6187w turns off after 15-30 minutes and all three

Samsung Hls6187w turns off after 15-30 minutes and all three led light on front will flash. The screen will go black and sound stays on for 5-10 seconds then unit turns off completely and lights flash. If I wait a few minutes, cooling down maybe, it will turn back on for another 10-20 minutes. I have replaced the bulb, ballast and power supply. I replaced the fans and they are running. I pulled the heatsink off of the chip and put thermal paste on it. I have bypassed the door switch on the lamp cover. Blew out all the dust. I am at a loss as to what it could be. Have read and read on many forums but none of the solution I find do it for me. Any ideas? Thanks
Hello my name is Anthony
Thanks for the Question

Have you heard any unusual humming or screeching noises coming from the set maybe days or weeks before this intermittent failure?

Let me know please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No unusual noises. I had replaced bulb, even though it still worked. Replaced ballast and power supply just hoping to hit the right part. While I was in there I also replaced the fans.

Hi Randy

Randy you have missed the second most common failure in all DLP sets ....the color wheel it can make a hum or screech when it begins to fail howeverit can just intermittently seize too with no noise.

You can get the color wheel from here or

Here is a video to help you replace the color wheel

Please let me know if you need more info

Please dont forget to rate the answer, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX will remain open even after rating should you need to ask additional questions

Many Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have read up on that and don't think it can be the problem. There is absolutely no noise coming from it when it turns off. I have even taken the whole back cover off and had my head very close to inner workings to listen to see if I can isolate it. Also it will turn right back on after less than a minute. When TV turns off, the lamp will stay on for a few seconds but screen is black, sound will stay on for another 10 seconds then lights on front will flash. I wait a minute and it will turn back on.

Hi Randy

I understand what your saying however it could still be the color wheel I have had color wheels go bad like this intermittently particularly as the set warms up I am not saying its a cast iron answer I am saying it needs to be investigated, I would start by having a good look at the color wheel out of situ

OK just getting away from that for a minute is this EXACTLY the same symptom before you replaced the lamp?so with the old lamp in was the set switching itself off after 15 to 30 mins?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it does the same thing with either lamp, I now have two good ones. I have swapped them back and forth a couple times. I should note that the TV will run longer with the back cover off and getting more air.

OK the reason you get the 3 lights is because the lamp is being switched off because something in the chain is, be it the ballast that keeps the lamp running, the powersupply to the ballast,the color wheel or the control of the ballast from the dmd board all will switch off the lamp, right now I would be suspecting the color wheel, just to add their is no specific testing that can be carried out to eliminate parts say with a meter (except the supply to the ballast from powerboard) you have already done what I would have done (except for color wheel) I would be looking at color wheel or hopefully not the dmd board

The only thing you can do is moniter the 320vdc supply to the ballast from the powerboard you will see that plug on the ballast board then if that changes their may be a problem with the powersupply to the ballast

Then your back to eliminating the color wheel and maybe the dmd board, I appreciate this can get expensive we have the luxury of trying the boards you dont when you get a "sticky" issue like this

DLP fault finding in the main is an elimination exercise gained by experience

Let me know if the supply from the powerboard to the ballast changes when monitering it

Let me know if you need more info

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I pulled the color wheel and spun it. I can tell it is bad because it slows rapidly and it make a slight rubbing noise when it is spun. I will order one of them. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me figure it out.

Hi Randy

Glad I could help

Let me know if I can do anything else

Please dont forget to rate the answer, thank you

Many THanks