Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

Samsung television circa 2008 LCD intermittent dark area top

Samsung television circa 2008 LCD intermittent dark area top 25-33% of the screen. any suggestions?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

Can you please get me the model number off of the back of the TV?

Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

LN46A530pifxza

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Thank you.

Can you please reply to the rest of my Info Request so that I can assist you?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sorry missed the other. Other components:

Direct TV box with DVR

DVD/SmartTV box (Sony)

VCR

Both the DirectTV box and the SmartTV box produce the issue whether both are powered or or not or whether they are selected as the source or not

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Okay thank you.

Have you tried going into the MENU and adjusting the "Backlight" setting down a bit to see if this helps?

Have you tried unplugging the set and then plugging it back in to see if this helps the problem?

Also, how often does the problem occur?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So I will try the backlight suggestion. As I mentioned in the what have I tried section above I did in fact try the power cord disconnect idea without result. One interesting though maybe coincidental symptom, the width of the dark spot is almost the exact width of the "information" feature of the Direct TV features. Also, it appears on about 70% of the right side of the screen. Does any of this give you any additional ideas?

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
No, not if the issue is also present when viewing from the Sony DVD/Smart box. LCD screens don't "burn in" like Plasmas so the Information area from Direct TV wouldn't have any bearing unless the issue ONLY occurs when viewing Direct TV.

If the issue goes beyond the Backlight setting adjustment, and is 100% for certain occurring with both Direct TV as well as the Sony box, then this is actually an intermittent failure in the backlights in your LCD panel itself, and not something that can be adjusted out or corrected aside from replacing the panel which is more money than the TV would cost to replace.

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.