Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

Hi I have a 58" samsung plasma tv model pn58B540S3FXZA that

Customer Question

Hi I have a 58" samsung plasma tv model pn58B540S3FXZA that went black yesterday while watching. The picture had some flicker to it for 5 minutes before dieing. I have removed the back and checked all the fuses (all Good) and I have turned tv on and can not see a glow. The center board is blinking regularly about every second. TV WORKED fine before this. No volume or menu on screen. the tv light on front is on and blinks when turned on and the normal jingle . Sound was still working when it quit.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

Do you have a Meter and the ability to measure live voltages?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Initially, your most likely suspects are your Power Supply Board, or your Mainboard.

The first thing you would want to check for in the set, are the capacitors visually, making sure none are bulged, swollen or leaking fluid. The Power Supply is the board inside the TV that power cord directly attaches to.

Any that do not appear cylindrical, or are leaking you would take the rating (In uf), and the voltage off the cap (example: 2200 uf, 50 vdc), and cross reference them at the sites below:

http://www.digikey.com/

http://www.mouser.com/

They each solder into place with two leads, a positive and a negative. Make sure you solder the news ones in the same way, or they will explode when the TV is powered up.

Make sure you are careful not to un-solder any other adjacent circuit traces when removing the old caps, and carefully solder in the new ones allowing the solder to flow into the joint. Replace any and ALL caps that are questionable. Remember- when in doubt, change them out.

Try powering up the TV, and if the set operates normally, then you have solved the issue by replacing the faulty cap(s).

If it does not, then you would need to isolate which board is causing the problem by measuring the Power Supply Voltages.

Please only proceed if you have experience measuring live voltages on a circuit board level.

Use a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) set to DC volts, put the Black probe of the Meter on an RCA jack shield on the back of the TV, then use the Red probe and probe all of the Outputs for voltage (correct voltages will be stamped on the power supply at the outputs). Do this with NOTHING connected to the Power supply but AC power, the Mainboard, and the little board that houses the Power Switch. If a voltage is missing/ fluctuating, then the power board needs to be replaced.

If the power supply outputs its rated voltages, then connect the other boards one at a time until one causes it to shut down. This board would have the short causing the supply to SOS, and would need to be replaced.

A good source to locate replacement boards is http://www.shopjimmy.com/

and http://www.discountmerchant.com/

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please rate the answer accordingly, as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

capacitors look good. voltage at power board

15v--15v

gnd--0

vs--201

va--55

all boards are connected

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Your Va and Vs look good, and the 15 volt line is good. Can you find one labeled 5 volts to the Mainboard?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

5.14 v

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay so you're getting all of your voltages from the supply board. Is your screen priming when you turn the set on?

Also, is there no audio from any connected Inputs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sound was working. and by priming if you mean slight glow then no as stated.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean sound "was" working? Does it not now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when the tv went black the sound continued. As I tried to get the menu up I may have changed the input. I do get the initial jingle when turned on and I do not have anything hooked up to it now,

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay I gotcha. So it's probable that the sound still works.

Now can you fire up the TV, let it run for about 20 minutes then check the heatsinks on both the Upper/Lower Scan boards, and also on both Sustain boards? It would seem that the issue is located in one of these boards and I would like to see if any of them are not functioning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I am not sure which boards are which, but the board left of the power board 1 of the 8 heat sinks is warm. the long skinny board (long top to bottom ) on far left with 6 heat sinks has 1 of the 6 that is very hot. and the board on the right of power board all are warm. Also the set is turning off automatically which is probably because nothing is hooked up to it but IDK.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please click the link below to identify which board is which and let me know again which heatsinks are warm, hot, and cold:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=PN58B540S3FXZA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok the y main board has 1 of 8 heat sinks warm others cold. the lower y scan drive has 1 of 3 heat sinks hot others warm, upper y scan drive warm. the x main board is all warm.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Seems most likely the Y Main is faulty, which is a common fault in these sets. However most times we simply replace both the X and Y Sustain boards together as they are the hardest working boards in Plasma TV's. Other's suggest replacing both Sustain, and also the Scan and Buffer boards. You could choose either route to fix the TV, but I would at the very least replace the Y main.
If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey I have replaced the following parts to no avail. There are only a couple boards left. Any suggestions.

Main Logic CTRL Board

Power Supply Unit

BN94-02808A Main Board for PN58B540S3FXZA (video board)

X-Main Board

BN96-09768A 63 UF1P YM(4L) (Y main board)

Upper Y Scan Drive

I ordered and have yet to receive lower y scan drive.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what happens when you get, and replace the Lower Y Scan drive please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK replaced lower scan drive as well. nothing works.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Are all 3 heat sinks getting warm on the lower scan drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

seems like just the bottom 1 not much though.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Leave the set on for about 20 minutes, and see if they all get warm.

Also, are you sure your Va and Vs are holding up?

Is your screen priming?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just checked va and vs. still good. Screen does not prime. part of original problem.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you have 5 volts to your mainboard?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes 5 volts to main. xmain and ymain are warm , scan drives are just marginally warm.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
How long has the set been on for? Did you leave it on for at least 20 minutes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. 30 min.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, just to recap:

ALL voltages are present from the supply.

The green light on the Logic board blinks once per second.

You have NO sound on any Input (have you tried them)?

The screen does NOT prime?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sound- after the screen initially went blank I tried to go to the tv menue and changed the input so I dont know what input is live. I have the initial jingle when the set turns on and I had sound when the screen quit initially. but thats it no sound other than that.

the rest is correct.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Joel, for all intents and purposes it sounds like the Plasma panel may be dead. Aside from replacing all of the Sustain and Drive boards and crossing our fingers, I'm not sure what else we can do. Now, the lack of sound may simply be that we're not on the correct Input, and we have no way of knowing that, so there's a slight chance the mainboard is faulty as well. We are at an impasse as far as isolating the issue, though it does seem as though your Sus and Scan/Drive boards are working, but the Panel is not lighting up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I changed the main board and the video board. and 4 others . the only thing not new are the 3 boards at the very bottom and the 1 board at far right. so if panel is dead is there a test?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
There's unfortunately not a test to determine if the panel is dead aside from replacing the rest of those boards, which I'm assuming are you Scan and Driver boards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, and sorry this has turned into such a pain. Best of luck and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

im giving up. going tv shopping. any suggestions? brand or type?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
From what I've seen on the site, upper end LG and Toshiba LCD or led sets have better reliability than most of the others. I would stay far away from both Sony and Samsung as their reliability hasn't been noteworthy based on what I've seen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks, have a good day.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome and have a good day as well.