Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Sony Bluray disc/DVD player model #BDP-S590 which

I have a Sony Bluray disc/DVD player model #BDP-S590 which has wireless internet capabilities. It was connected to one of my televisions and worked fine. Due to a problem with that tv, I moved it to another one, a Westinghouse LTV-32w6HD. the sony player is connected to the tv via an hdmi cable. The blueray player boots up as it did when connected to the other tv and shows HOME on the front panel readout. However, the Westinghouse tv shows and "Invalid Format" message on its screen. There is nothing in either devices' owners manuals that address this issue. Any suggestions? I would like Aric to take this question.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear your'e having trouble with the Sony,

Nathan :

the issue you are experiencing is likely a resolution incompatability,

Nathan :

this is because the Westinghouse tv is only capable of displaying a 720p signal.

Nathan :

Your old tv was likely capable of 1080p, and had no problems.

Nathan :

What you'll need to do is (temporarily) connect the bluray up to a 1080p compatible tv, then go into the settings and adjust the output resolution to 720p, you can then reconnect to the westinghouse, and it should perform normally.

Customer:

I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.

Nathan :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX luck!

Customer:

None of my other tvs support 1080p :<(. Any other suggestions?

Nathan :

You have to do this from within the setup menu,

Nathan :

you don't have access to the original tv it was on any longer?

Customer:

I do. I am waiting on a dlp projector lamp and color wheel as both need to be replaced.

Customer:

The projector lamp is two weeks out. That's why I wanted to move the sony to another tv.

Nathan :

Okay, there is one other thing you can try here,

Nathan :

can you press and hold the STOP button (small square) for at least 10 seconds

Nathan :

do this with the button on the player, not the remote

Nathan :

that should knock the system down to SD resolution, then you can hopefully get a picture, and go in and set it to 720

Customer:

What is the procedure for changing the picture setting? Do I use the remote for that?

Nathan :

Yes, you should be able to use the remote, go into the sony setup menu, under picture/video, then there should be a resolution setting (480/720/1080i/1080p)

Customer:

2 questions:

Customer:

there is no setup menu button on the remote. Would I use the Top Menu, Pop Up/Menu or Options button to activate the setup menu?

Customer:

I noticed you listed 1080i as a choice. all my other tvs support this resolution. Can I choose that or should I stick w/ 720p?

Nathan :

It is under Options

Nathan :

Your tv does not support 1080i, only 720p maximum.

Nathan :

What you are looking for is going to be called Output Video Format

Nathan :

The choices there will actually be Auto, Original, and Video.

Customer:

Ok, thanks. I'll give this a try and let you know.

Nathan :

On the westinghouse, you'll want to put it on Video (which is the SD setting)

Nathan :

When you get it back on the big tv, you can put it back to Auto.

Customer:

The setup menu did list Output Video Format. I set it to 720p. I then powered on and then powered the tv and blueray player. Everything worked as it should. I will switch it back to Auto when I get my other tv fixed. Thanks for your help. Rating your service excellent now.

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.