Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a JVC AV-48WP30 TV. It has lines going up and down.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. Remember, you are rating me personally, not this site or your product and a negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the JVC,

Nathan :

can you tell me if this happens on all sources and inputs (cable/satellite, dvd, game, etc)?

Nathan :

Are the lines across the entire display, and how thick/wide are the lines?

Customer:

You can still see a picture, The line ares not wide but are distorted.

Nathan :

So the lines are on top of the picture, as though the people you are watching are in jail, so to speak?

Customer:

Yes.

Nathan :

Okay, and this happens on all sources?

Customer:

Yes.

Nathan :

If you bring up the tv's on screen menu, is it obscured by the lines as well?

Nathan :

Still with me?

Customer:

No.

Nathan :

Okay, thank you for the information.

Nathan :

This is a somewhat common problem with this set. While there are a few possible causes, the most likely is a bad IP converter module.

Nathan :

This, and the other few possible causes, are all internal hardware failures, which would require significant repairs to correct. For the component I mentioned, you'd be in the $800 range for repairs.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX wondering if to fix or buy a new one.

Nathan :

Even the other possible issues, though less likely, would be well over $500. Neither are going to be practical investments for a tv that is 11 years old.

Nathan :

No, it would not be worth fixing, you'll be far better off investing in a new set at this point.

Nathan :

I can recommend some replacement options, if you'd like.

Customer:

What are they?

Nathan :

In general, I recommend the panasonic plasma tv's for most of my clients. They have a great picture, are reasonable price, and tend to be quite reliable. If you can tell me a bit more about what you are looking for as far as size and features, I can recommend a specific model, if you'd like.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50-100 (depending on size) which is well worth it.

Customer:

OK. Thanks for your help.

Nathan :

You are very welcome, and sorry to be the bearer of bad news tonight.