Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Hi, My Vizio VX32L HDMI TV just stopped working today. There

My Vizio VX32L HDMI TV just stopped working today. There was a loud, high-pitched squeeling sound that would only stop when we disconnected the power. Ever since then, when we turned it on, there is no picture, though the Vizio letter light up like the television is running.
Can you help?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for?

Also, if you plug the set in right now, does the high pitched squealing sound start right back up again?

If you press power, is there a distinct "click" sound from within the TV?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think we have had the set for 8 years. The squeal does not start up. There is a sound when I plug the TV back in, but nothing whwn I hit the power button.

Thanks for the reply Polly.

There is a failure on the power supply board inside the TV. Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail. They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets. The problem could also be a cracked solder joint, or failed IC regulator, in which case it would be more cost effective to replace the board itself.
Unfortunately there is no sequence of buttons or reset you can perform to get the set working again.
If you're not comfortable with this type of repair, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a technician in your area. Average cost to have this repaired is around $175 parts and labor:

If you're comfortable removing the back of the TV (nothing more than removing the screws on the rear of the set is needed), then you can replace this board yourself. It is a plug and play board- meaning nothing more than a screwdriver is needed, and the connections unplug from the old board and plug into the new board. The link below is where you can purchase the power supply board for your TV:

If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to rate my service accordingly.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am looking at the link for the power supply and under the known compatibility it lists the VX32L HDTV10A. The model number on our television says only HDTV (no 10A). Is that the same thing?

There is a slight difference in Power Supply Boards between the two sets, and the correct one for model number ending HDTV only is at the following link for purchase:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I really appreciate the help. Can you think of any other possible sources of the problem besides the power supply board based on the diagnostic info?

Based on the symptoms you stated, not really but I suppose there's a small chance that the Mainboard could be causing the issue. However if you are looking to isolate the problem further you would need a meter and to then measure the power supply voltages and see if any of them are present.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Perfect; Thank you. One last question. Do you have any information on what typically causes this problem?

No, this is simply a common issue and the result of electronic failure. Heat, normal usage, subpar components, etc. are all factors. There's really no way to determine for sure, and this is common to Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Westinghouse, etc.

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I am quite happy with the service.

Have a nice evening.Laughing

You're welcome. Could you please use the system employed by the site as it is the only way I will receive credit for my work?