Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

Hi, Panasonic 50" plasma. Pink and yellow bars/lines on left

Panasonic 50" plasma. Pink and yellow bars/lines on left side of screen. I paid over $1000 for it years ago. I am hoping I could replace a panel for less than that. I read somewhere the exact board/panel to replace but lost the info. Any help? Thanks!
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thanks for the question.

In order to give you pertinent information we need the model number off of the back of the TV.

Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
If you press MENU on the TV, does the MENU display OVER or behind the bars?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Model # XXXXX

All of the time I am connected to my dish receiver.

Sometimes I connect my laptop via HDMI to watch DVD's.

All of the time regardless of device the 2 colored bars are present and over the "menu" display. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX help and patience.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the reply Gary. Can you tell me how thick these bars are please, and do they ONLY occur on the left side of the screen?

If so, is it on a perfect half of the screen, or scattered?

Is there any hum or buzz coming from the panel or the back of the set?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

42" viewing distance.(l to r) Half of the screen being 21" there would be #7- 3" bars from left to middle screen. Bars one and two look lovely. Bar three is pink, bar 4 is lovely, bar five is yellow, and bars six and seven are lovely. From the middle of the screen to the right everything is lovely. Of course the bars are transparent. There are no hums or any other unusual noises from the front or back of the screen. Just a review, from the left of the screen 6" clear, 3" pink bar, 3" clear, 3" yellow bar, the rest to the right side of the screen is clear. With a slide ruler The bars were approximately 2 15/16" wide and very transparent.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Thank you.

Gary, unfortunately with these symptoms there's not a one shot answer as to what board could be faulty, and there's a very very good chance that the Plasma panel itself (the most expensive component in the TV, and about 90% of what the set cost), is faulty.

There's also a chance that one of the outputs from the power supply is dropped/shorted, or a Sustain or Scan board is causing the issue.

To narrow it down further, you would need a meter and the ability to measure live voltages on a PCB level.

Can you please tell me if you have this ability, or are you looking for a service locator?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I spoke with my neighbor who owns Stauffer Electronics. He told me he was willing to do whatever you suggest as far as tests to pin-point my problem. If I knew a time during the day you were available, we could probably nail the problem. Maybe even a few specific tests that he could preform and I could get back to you with his values. I am in no hurry since it has been this way for over a year.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

The first thing you would want to check for in the set, are the capacitors visually, making sure none are bulged, swollen or leaking fluid. The Power Supply is the board inside the TV that power cord directly attaches to.

Any that do not appear cylindrical, or are leaking you would take the rating (In uf), and the voltage off the cap (example: 2200 uf, 50 vdc), and cross reference them at the sites below:

http://www.digikey.com/

http://www.mouser.com/

They each solder into place with two leads, a positive and a negative. Make sure you solder the news ones in the same way, or they will explode when the TV is powered up.

Make sure you are careful not to un-solder any other adjacent circuit traces when removing the old caps, and carefully solder in the new ones allowing the solder to flow into the joint. Replace any and ALL caps that are questionable. Remember- when in doubt, change them out.

Try powering up the TV, and if the set operates normally, then you have solved the issue by replacing the faulty cap(s).

If it does not, then you would need to isolate which board is causing the problem by measuring the Power Supply Voltages.

Please only proceed if you have experience measuring live voltages on a circuit board level.

Use a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) set to DC volts, put the Black probe of the Meter on an RCA jack shield on the back of the TV, then use the Red probe and probe all of the Outputs for voltage (correct voltages will be stamped on the power supply at the outputs). Do this with NOTHING connected to the Power supply but AC power, the Mainboard, and the little board that houses the Power Switch. If a voltage is missing/ fluctuating, then the power board needs to be replaced.

If the power supply outputs its rated voltages, then connect the other boards one at a time until one causes it to shut down. This board would have the short causing the supply to SOS, and would need to be replaced.

A good source to locate replacement boards is http://www.shopjimmy.com/

and http://www.discountmerchant.com/

If all of the voltages including Va and Vs from the supply are in spec, then the next logical solution would be to replace the Sustain, Scan and Driver boards as a set, as ANY one of these boards can cause the lines on your screen.

Beyond those things, the Plasma panel itself has the fault and the set would then be considered non-repairable.

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Aric,

My electronic neighbor is coming over Tuesday after noon. He said he will be able to perform all of your tests. I'll let you know the results as soon as they are complete. So far, so good. Gary Ward

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the reply Gary, that sounds good.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Arec,

I was watching youtube and a video suggested the ghostines caused by a bad y sus board. There are also 3 caps very slightly bulged on the big power supply board in the middle of the tv set. They are 220v 900uf caps. The video also suggested ANYTHING y sustain related (buffers) to be replaced as well. Does this make sense? Y sus board? The board seems to be cheap and they have 2 day delivery?

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
It's kind of a guess, but it may work. I would highly suggest replacing those faulty caps before doing anything else because the power supply provides voltage for the Y Sus board, so that could cause the problem.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Arec,

We replaced the y sus board. The pink and yellow bars are still present. ALSO, there are now black bars appearing horizontally. I think that happened when my neighbor took a board out to check the capacitors. I have since decided that he is not really capable of diagnosing anything "tv." I have called a local repair service and will let them decide if the set can be fixed or if it is cheaper to replace it. Thanks for your help regardless. Gary Ward