Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My RCA TV screen is blank when I turn power on. I traded my

My RCA TV screen is blank when I turn power on. I traded my old box for a new one. Cables are all in correct place. I hear a little static that goes on and off. I checked the back of TV and just above the cable that goes into tv there is a red light that goes on and off at the same time as the static

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

Was the tv working o.k when you replaced the cable box or did you replace it because of this problem ?

Do you have other equipment like a dvd,bluray,games etc. connected to this tv ?

If so , do they seem to work correctly ?

Hello , can you see my reply above ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did have a a pic on screen which said unusable signal . New box today and black screen with power light on

Just a black screen ?

Can you see the TV's menu or anything appearing on the screen when you press the INPUT button on the TV's remote ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No

O.k then , not sure what happened here but if the screen is completely dark and you cannot even see the menu or anything else then it does not look like a cable box problem anymore .

Does the tv respond to anything like on/off ?

If not then although I do not have great hopes in this procedure , here is something for you to try ;

Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.

Let me know how it goes and please take the time to rate my answer if that does the trick , otherwise do not rate at all , just let me know and we`ll see what can be done.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a screen now and it says unusable signal

O.k then this is some progress but basically you are back to where you were yesterday.

Can you tell me what type of cables/connection you are using ?

Is it a single HDMI or rca type color coded cables ?