Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

I have a JVC av-50d501 projection screen TV. Has worked fine

I have a JVC av-50d501 projection screen TV. Has worked fine for years but now the screen is rolling and I can't find anything like a vertical control. I can access menu as well as video settings in menu (rolling but I can see it) but can't find anything to adjust vertical hold. It is not a slow roll but instead is really fast. Ideas? and thank you for your help. Mark Lehde
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-Do you have any black horizontal lines that are rolling with it?
-How old is the tv?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is a DVD VCR combo unit attached as well as cable. I would guess the TV is at least ten years old since I bought it used about six years ago. The picture rolls regardless of cable or dvd/vcr, I have not noticed any horizontal lines, by "horizontal" they would appear like prison bars across the screen I'm guessing? Aside from rolling the picture appears good. Mark

Ok, so the picture looks perfect, its just scrolling?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If "scrolling" means rolling from top to bottom really fast I'd say yes thats the problem in a nutshell. I'm old enough to remember when TVs had vertical and a horizontal hold knobs and thats what I'm wishing for because I can't seem to control the picture in that way. Color, sharpness, tint, warmth, I've got, vertical hold I don't The entire picture rolls up rapidly. The sound is okay, its just the picture rolling.

Yeah I completely understand what you are saying, this set of course does not have those controls like the old days.

This set, although says jvc on the front, was made by Mitsubishi. This model in particular had a major problem with a fluid leak, where the coolant in the picture tubes would leak onto the boards and cause major problems, this being one of them. So my first suspect would be a coolant leak. The problem is that this is normally much more costly repair than its worth because not only does the board have to be repaired by also the tubes sealed and refilled. Generally somewhere between $400-700.

This can be other things too, just not as likely, it could be a failed vertical circuit or a power issue feeding the vertical circuit, normally here you are looking around $200-300 for repairs.

Unfortunately though, this does not have the adjustments you are hoping for, I wish it did.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was afraid you were going to say something like that. To recap, No way to adjust it myself and a pro fixing it is going to cost me somewhere between two hundred and seven hundred which is more than the TV is worth. That about it? By the way I don't fault you for bearing ill tidings. Mark Lehde

Yes unfortuantely no simple adjustment you could do yourself.

A pro fixing it is going to cost at least $200 if not up to $700.

So yes, I believe you have it right.

Thank you for not holding me liable Mark, many like to take out their anger on the messenger.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.