Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

I have a Phillips 42" plasma tv. It developed a vertical

I have a Phillips 42" plasma tv. It developed a vertical black stripe about 1" wide that would appear after the set had been on for approximately an hour. It recently went all black and will not turn on. A red light is repeatedly flashing 7 times below the screen. Can this be economically repaired?
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-The line was from top to bottom?
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The line was on the left side of the screen top to bottom. No devices is 6 years oldother than the directv DVR are connected. The unit is 6 yrs old

There are two things that can cause this, the first is a buffer board and the second is the plasma panel. That is assuming the two are related, which given the succession of events, they probably are.

That said, it may be repairable, but may not be. The buffer board normally runs around $200-300 to have replaced by a tech, however, if the panel is bad, the part alone costs more than a new tv.

Normally about 80% of the time, the panel causes this problem and about 20% of the time it is the buffer board.

So without some troubleshooting or replacing the board its pretty much impossible to know which one is causing the problem in your set though.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!