Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

My Samsung 42 inch tv wont turn on. when I power it up it clicks

Customer Question

My Samsung 42 inch tv wont turn on. when I power it up it clicks once then the red indicator light flashes six times then goes out. when I press the remote the indicator light blinks rapidly but nothing happens
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 11 months ago.
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-Do you have/know how to use a meter?
-How old is the unit?
-Any problems with the tv before this? (picture problems, sound problems, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Tim, I don't have a meter at this time but could borrow one should that be required, not 100% on how to use them.

the unit is around two years old

and there were no problems I noticed before it would simply not turn on anymore

Ok so the problem without a meter is this tv is a plasma, there are about 5 or 6 different circuit boards in it that can cause the problem.

So there are a couple tests we might be able to do without a meter, but most likely they will not help us diagnose it. I am happy to help you with it of course and walk you through the troubleshooting, but we most likely will get to a point where we will need a meter to go further.

If you want to try without one, if you can get me a picture of the tv with the back off, that is probably the easiest way for me to show you what to do.

Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

samsung tv with back off

Ok step one is to inspect all those chips on the left side I put the yellow boxes around and all the ones on that board above the yellow boxes which I could not get to.

You need to check each one very carefully for a burn mark or a hole. If any are damaged ,let me know.

If they are all good, then you need to unplug the connector in red and turn the tv on, what happens?

http://i.imgur.com/tCpHA8P.jpg

Thanks,
Tim

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

all the chips are fine. When I disconnect the cable mark in red the tv does the same thing. except I get a slight coloured flicker lines across the screen for a split second.

Ok, now you can hook that cable back up and disconnect the board on the left side with all the square chips on it. Take it completely out of the tv.

Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have disconnected it what now?

Turn the set on, any change?

Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Done that. Tv acts like it did to begin with. ie: clicks once red led flashes 6 times and then does nothing, no screen flicker at all this time, and when remote is pressed the red led just rapid pulses but no response from tv

OK so from the tests I would say the board on the right (the X main) is bad. But I cannot confirm it without a meter. If you want to try another board, I would say go with that.

If you want to be sure though, we need a meter.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok im confused about how I go forward please forgive me. If I click above good rating you get paid and then what happens, should I need more advice ? if I come back to this site do I automatically get to interact with you on this and how?

Or do I wait until I have tried the new x main board then if that resolves the issue do I come back and click that im happy with the outcome..

Again im sorry but this is the first time I have used this service so have no idea what to do next

Yes, if you need any help at all after rating, come back to this page here and post a reply just as you did. I will be notified and respond asap.

To get back to this page, login to justanswer.com, click on the MY QUESTIONS link in the top right, then click on this question and post a reply.

Either way, is up to you.

No problem, do not worry, happy to help in any way I can .

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi there Tim, I put another x main board in today and still the fault persists. I have borrowed a multi meter would you be able to help me set it up for testing purposes and maybe walk me through how to test things. and what to test?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Also with the new main board in, there is a cracking noise coming from the power supply board and a buzz on the y main board that just lasts a second or so. after that the problem is still exactly the same

Yes I can, do you have the model for the meter?

Sorry to hear the tv is still not working, we may have a more sinister issue here than thought.

Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi there it is automobile-multimeter 150.2040

OK so on that you put the red lead in the far right hole, the black lead in the far left hole and for the first test you set the meter to the ohms section. The ohms section is the one that has the omega symbol.

Then I need you to find the pin on the power supply labeled VS and the one labeled VA, put the red lead in the hole with the wire and then the black lead on the back of the panel.

Then tell me what the meter reads on each one.

Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

sorry could you explain the red lead in the hole with the wire and also once I know what that is have I to touch the black lead to the raised metallic bit that says vs on it?

Ok so on the power supply, where is says VS, there is a connector plugged in there with a wire right? So on the backside of the connector you push your red lead into the hole along with the wire just far enough to touch the metal tip on the end of the wire.

You then touch your black lead to any of the metal on the back of the panel.

Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Is this with the mains connected or disconnected ?. ..

Sorry I used to do this stuff years ago but had three strokes and now cannot remember most of the things I learned....

Yes, tv unplugged, no power to it.

NO problem, take your time, I am happy to help.

Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

on the wired connector on left hand side of panel the bottom pin says vs and when put in that the meter goes up to 30 then resets and continues to climb up. When touch metallic point it just says va on the board get reading of 12.95. if u like can send pic of the points on the board that I am touching to clarify I am doing it right...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Touch your meter leads together, what do you get?

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

00.5

Ok, and you do not get that when reading either of those pins?

Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No sorry I don't

Ok no thats good, thats what it should be.

Now you need to change your meter to DC Voltage, then test the same pins, but this time with the tv plugged in and right as you push the power button.

Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok can I get back to you tomorrow I'm going to get the person who owns the meter to follow these instructions to make sure I'm giving correct readings.

Frank

Yean no problem, take your time Frank!

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok sorry its taken so long to get back to you so im told the readings are on vs point it settled on 11v and on the va it settled on .5

OK so you are not getting any DC.

Can you check ohms then?

Thanks,
Tim