Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

I have thin lines running horizontal on the top and bottom

I have thin lines running horizontal on the top and bottom of my tv screen in all sources. I bought a y main board and y buffer board off ebay replaced them. And screen still has lines at the top and bottom.
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-If you push the MENU button on the tv, does the menu show in front or behind the lines?
-How thin are the lines?
-How many lines do you have?
-What color are the lines?
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lines are in front of menu, 18 lines at the top one of those are as thick as a nickel the rest are about as thick as a dime. And the bottom has 8 lines aslso as thin as a dime, the lines are black, the tv was manufactured in 2010. And every plug in source is affected by these lines

What color are they?

Is the pattern exactly the same before and after you replaced the boards?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Omg I told you the color like twice already "BLACK LINES" same results with the new y main board and y buffer the y buffer board is a one piece assembly completely upper and lower on one board.

Sorry, I do see where I missed that you said black once before. I missed it reading, I do apologize, I half way expected all these to be many colors so I guess my own presumption made me skip that.

All black is actually very bad, I was hoping they were colored as that would point to a possible circuit board problem.

But all black and the fact they did not change at all when you replaced the buffer and the y would point directly to a bad plasma panel.

I was thinking it was possible for the logic board to be your problem here, but 99.999% of the time, when it fails, it will cause colored lines.
There certainly is little loss if you want to try a logic, the part number is XXXXX and it runs about $15 on ebay, so you wont be out a ton to try it. But it has a very little chance of fixing your particular problem.

I am sorry Mark, I wish I had a simple fix, but there are only 4 things that cause horizontal lines, plasma panel, y buffer, y main, logic. You replaced two, and the 4th is not common to cause all black, normally just colored.

And the plasma panel, if you do not know, just the part would cost more than a new tv, so you would end up replacing it at that point.

Sorry again for the bad news, I enjoy helping people fix televisions much more than condemning them, but I am sorry to say in this case I cannot give you too much false hope that the logic will fix it.

Sorry again too for making you repeat yourself. 100% my mistake as I read your response for not catching that.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!