Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech

My LG 47 inch 3D smart TV, wont turn on, the stand by light

My LG 47 inch 3D smart TV, won't turn on, the stand by light doesn't blink, any ideas?
Hello, my name isXXXXX be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.

- Can you please get the model number written on back of TV?
- Does power light turn On if TV power cord plugs in wall socket?
- Do you hear nay relay click sound when press Power button on TV control panel?
- How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not sure of the model it is on the wall and I can't get behind it too see.
The light does not come on when it is just plugged in to the power socket.
I can hear the relay when you turn it on with the remote, just nothing comes on to the screen.
It has played up on and off for the last month with not having any sound when you first turn it on, but if turned it off and on again it was ok.
Thanks Gail for the reply.

- How old is the TV?
- Also, please check side panel of TV for small sticker that may contains model info?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2 Years old.
I am trying to get a photo from the back but it is too close to the wall.
Thanks for the info,

- Does relay click keep clicking or clicks once when power button pushed?
- Do you get once more relay click sound when press Power button on TV remote as to turn Off TV?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It clicks once when you turn it on with the remote, and no click when you turn it off the light just goes out.
Thanks Gail for the info.

lets try this, please try to unplug TV power cord for 10 minutes to get it reset, replug and check.

If that doesn't help then two possible boards in TV can cause this problem, either power supply board or main processor board has problem and further trouble shooting in TV with voltmeter is required to determine power supply board is bad or main board requires replacement.

If power supply output volts are fine then main board is bad, this kind of trouble shooting/ repair should be done by handy person to avoid any damage to TV and it may cost approx $250 to $350 from local TV repair shop if you are not repair this TV yourself.

I'm sorry if unplug - replug doesn't work then there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely internal failure of TV that needs real hands to determine bad board to get it replaced.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have tried unplugging and rep lug, it didn't work, so I guess it is one of the boards, thank you for your advice.

Yes, it seems one of above mentioned two boards would be defective and causing the problem.
I wish I had better news or quick fix for you on this issue.

Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.