Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

TV wont turn on, red light stays lit and wont go green on

TV won't turn on, red light stays lit and won't go green on an LCT2785TA

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

Did the tv quit while you were watching it or just would not turn on today ?

Any difficulty prior to this to turn the tv on ?
Like it would take longer than usual or repeated attempts before it would turn on ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It won't turn on a while ago, 1 year plus.

Yes, it would not always turn on right away and just kept getting worse until it finally would not come on at all.

It would take more and more tries.

O.k then this is a typical power board problem , namely weak/vented capacitors on that board.

If this happened a year ago then I would presume that you are not in a rush or willing to spend much on this and in that case the cheapest solution would be to replace the power board yourself.

If you are willing to look into repairing this yourself then I will find the board part number and where to get it.

This board can be bought for $67 .

Otherwise I can help you find a repair shop near you.

Be right back with the info`s

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm able to replace the board myself. If it's only $67 it's worth it but if too much more, probably not. Is this a common problem on this model?

O.k then if you wish to take a look at repairing this yourself then you can get that board at the link below;

http://www.shopjimmy.com/megmeet-mlt168a-power-supply-unit.htm

This is all screws and plugs , so if you or a friend is handy with a screwdriver then you can do this yourself , no solder or adjustments.

This is a common problem with all lcd TV's over 3 or 4 years old.

Hope this help and I will be in standby if you have any questions.
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer if that answers your question and you can still reach me here at anytime after this chat is closed if you have other questions or need help with the repair.