Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

I have an AVR 4800 thats freaking out. When it is plugged

I have an AVR 4800 that's freaking out. When it is plugged into the wall with no inputs it comes on, the screen lights up and then it shuts down and seems to go into protect mode. The screen goes dark and the power indicator light blinks until reset.

What happened? It's plugged into a Monster power bar normally but it does the same thing no matter where I plug it in.

Is there a way to reset it? Please help.

Thx,

Don
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

How long have you owned the Denon for and when did the problem occur?

Also, when you say it goes into protect mode- does the display read "Proector"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have owned it for like 12 years and the problem just occured. It does not read protect but it shuts down and the power light blinks until I push it and then it stays a steady red for standby.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply Don.

Have you unplugged the unit from power, then disconnected ALL external connections to the receiver including speaker wires to see if the unit will then stay on once plugged back in?

Additionally have you reset the processor yet on the receiver?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done everything above except reset the processor. I have even tried different plugs with the same response.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I did see that you had tried another plug.

1 Switch off the unit and remove the AC cord from the AVR-
4800 rear panel. Wait for 15 seconds.
2 Press and hold the 6.1/7.1 SURROUND buttons and DIRECT
buttons, and at the same time, plug in the AC cord.
3 Check that the entire display is flashing with an interval of
about 1 second, and release your fingers from the 2 buttons
and the microprocessor will be initialized.
NOTES:
• If step 3 does not work, start over from step 1.
• If the microprocessor has been reset, all the button settings are
reset to the default values (the values set upon shipment from
the factory
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

let me try it. back soon!

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay that sounds good and please let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

tried 3 times. same situation.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear that and unfortunately there isn't anything you can do on a user level to fix this. The unit will require service and most commonly its a fault in the power supply which is commonly a $225 repair. I know this is not the news you'd hoped for but I would personally out the same money into a new unit.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.