Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

40xv645u, wont power on, green light just blinks 3 times over

40xv645u, won't power on, green light just blinks 3 times over and over
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Toshiba,

Nathan :

Unfortunately, the symptoms you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect. It is attempting to start up, but there is a BUS error indicated by the led flashing 3 times, which means there is a failure on the main board (or possibly the power supply) preventing the set from booting fully.

Nathan :

No amount of plugging/unplugging will help this, nor is there a reset procedure that would clear the issue, I'm sorry to say.

Nathan :

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you would need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with ad digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).

Nathan :

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

Nathan :

However, for a 40" tv that is 4 years old, it's not going to be worth repairing, as you can buy a new tv for about the same amount, getting updated technology and a fresh warranty in the process.

Nathan :

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help you with locating parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending a replacement set.

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.