Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

My Samsung DLP HL P5063W TV died. It is about 8 years old.

My Samsung DLP HL P5063W TV died. It is about 8 years old. While watching it 2 nights ago, it made a shreeking noise like an incoming round, then a crashing sound, the picture lost color and a loud humm started. I had to unplug the set to shut it down. I pushed the front button several times but it would not shut down.
When I repowered the set after a few minutes, it emits a loud electronic buzzing hum as though some power source is trying to start something but cannot. Now no picture either. And after I plug the set in the humm starts immediately without pushing the on button. I also still have to unplug the set to kill the noise.
I tried replacing the projector bulb with an old, but functional one I had left, but that made no difference.
Hello and thank you for the question.

The problem in our set is that the color wheel has shattered and needs to be replaced. The color wheel is responsible for providing the color on the screen and is a disc that spins very very rapidly. Over time they get brittle, and the disc wall shatter, leaving you with a black and white image and the hum sound. Typically pieces of the wheel can fly and lodge into other components not allowing the set to power on at all.

That being said, are you looking for a link to where you can purchase the color wheel and repair this yourself?

Or are you looking for a repair estimate and service locator?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have no picture not even black and white. And the set does not respond the the power button on the front whatsoever.

I understand, and you stated that the picture had lost color before it went out altogether. Then what likely happened is that the pieces of the color wheel are lodged in the fans not allowing the set to even power on or do anything but hum.

Do you want to pull the back of the set off and look for pieces of the color wheel?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't pull the back right now so please send a repair estimate and parts list to repair. Any suggestions or a parts source? Are there any switches or breaker to reset?

Thanks Scott

Thanks for the reply.

The average cost to replace the color wheel is $350 parts and labor. The color wheel for your set can be purchased at the link below:

You can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:

If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to rate my service accordingly.