Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

my toshiba regza lcd tv has sound issues. the tv sound works

my toshiba regza lcd tv has sound issues. the tv sound works for maybe 3 min. then goes down as if I were lowering it with the remote, then when I try to raise the volume remotely or manually it might or might not go up and instantly goes back down. We cannot turn off or turn on the tv with any remote.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to assist you.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?

Also, what are you viewing when the problem occurs- is it from a cable box?

If there's a cable box in the mix, is it the cable remote, or the original TV remote you're using?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I have had the set for 4 yrs and this started 1month ago

I view from cable ATT that also has a DVR reciever although we do not have this problem on our other toshiba lcd that is not a regza

the problem is consistant with both remote controlls which both workon the other tv just fine

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for the reply.

The most important part of your answer, is that the TV remote itself will also not work to shut off the TV. You can have a problem with one DVR box, but not another....but the fact the TV remote also will not shut the TV off, tells us this problem is within the TV itself.

There is one board in the set that is responsible for controlling and processing the volume, and also the power on/off command. This is the Mainboard, and what's happening is that the EEPROM is locking up which is a component level failure.

Unfortunately there's no settings, updates, or software fixes for this problem and the Mainboard would need to be replaced.

This is a simple fix if you're a DIY type person- there's no soldering involved and the board is a basic swap. If you'd like to go this route, let me know and I will provide a link to the Mainboard.

If not, then I can provide you with a repair estimate and a service locator if you'd like.

Let me know either way and I will continue to assist you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I have repaired my front loading door locking mechanism by replacing it after ordering the part and watching a instructional video on how to replace it and saved over 300.00 dollars.

If you can help me with the part # XXXXX how to instructions I will be very grateful.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Here's the catch, the Mainboard is a very easy to replace board- simply removing some screws and swapping out plugs on the board. The issue is that I cannot locate a Mainboard for this set in stock anywhere. The site I usually use below is showing out of the board currently, and other vendors are out as well. I would suggest staying in touch with Shipjimmy and asking them to scour for a board and notify you when available:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/toshiba-75015873-main-board.htm

You can also check with these folks to put out their feelers and try to locate the Mainboard for you:

http://www.tristatemodule.com/p-14508-75015471-toshiba-tv-module-main-75015470-75015873-47zv650u.aspx

I'm sorry to get your hopes up and then tell you that I cannot find the board, but it can be hard to find these parts sometimes.

Another option, would be to search on Ebay using "47ZV650U Mainboard" for your search criteria.

If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to rate my service.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok I will look for the part. can you tell me how to get back to our conversation at a later date on this site?

I will rate your service as satisfied .

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
Yes, all you need to do is either:

1) Bookmark this page.

2) Click on one of the Notification E-mails the site sends to your E-mail address.

3) Log back onto www.justanswer.com then click on "My Questions"

Either of these will return you to this question for any follow ups you may have- at no additional charge even once the service is rated.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Why didnt I just think of that!

Thank you Aric and have a good evening.

Thanks again, Janice

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
You're welcome Janice! Once you have the board, you simply remove the screws on the back of the set and remove the rear cover. The Mainboard is the first board you see and contains the Audio and Video jacks on it. You then simply unplug the connectors, and remove 4 screws around the board to take it out- then install the new board the same way you removed the old one.

If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to rate my service before you log off if you would.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.