Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Have and LG 37LG50-UG and the sound just suddenly went out

Have and LG 37LG50-UG and the sound just suddenly went out and the picture start flicking in and out with a static picture. What can be done
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
If you press MENU on the TV when the problem is occurring, does the MENU display normally on the full screen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have had the set for 4 years or so. I have a cable box and dvd hooked up to the tv. The remote doesnt work when the problem is occuring. The tv doesnt even turn off by the remote or the power button on the set itself. So that is why i resulted in unplugging it. The problem has just started recently, I did have trouble the past few days with the picture coming in and out, but thought that it was just my cable connection until today.

Thanks for the reply Tyler. So right now, what is the set doing if you try to power it up?

Also, is the power light on the front of the set blinking?

Have you ever had a hard time getting the set to power up, or having it actually shut itself down?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just plugged it back in and is working normally. No, the light was not blinking at anytime during the problem. Never had an issue with it powering on or suddenly turning itself off.

Okay Tyler, there is an intermittent failure in either the Mainboard (which processes external Audio/Video signals to the set, and ALSO controls the Power ON/OFF commands), or the Power Supply which converts AC to the various DC lower voltages in the set. The most common cause would be the power supply, as it is prone to having it's filter capacitors go out of spec and cause intermittent problems. Are you looking to repair this yourself and for the most likely suspect?

Or are you looking for an estimate of what it would cost to repair the TV?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

estimate on repair and/or if i would be better off with a new purchase

I would personally replace the set over repairing it. It simply isn't cost effective to put more than $150 into a 4 year old TV these days, seeing as they're basically designed to last about 5 before needing some type of repairs.

Average cost to diagnose and either repair the power supply board, or replace that board, OR the mainboard (the problem would be isolated to one but not both), is around $225-$250 parts and labor on this set.

I know this is not good news, and if you do decide to repair the set you can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com