Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My Vizio HDTV power wont stay on. It looks very much like

My Vizio HDTV power won't stay on. It looks very much like the problem described in the write-up. It's 41 or 42 " set, built in Sept, 2006. I've tried 3 different reset options, with no success. Could it be anything but the main power supply board.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

Any difficulty prior to this to turn the tv on ?
Like it would take longer than usual or repeated attempts before it would turn on ?

Or did this just happened overnight ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Set has worked perfectly for almost 7 years. This came out of nowhere. Also, this happened under good weather. No evidence that I see of a power surge. Set was also plugged into a surge protector.

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.
O.k and did it quit while watching it or just would not turn on today ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It quit while watching. Thanks for being so responsive Jack.

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

No problem , my pleasure.

Now , what does it do , any light or flashing light at the front , any clicking sound when you try to turn it on or plug in the power cord or is it completely dead ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

When the set is off, an XXXXX XXXXXght appears at the front of the set. When I turn on the power, either by remote or the power button on the side of the set, that light will turn green. Once in a great while, the screen will lite up for a few seconds - lke 3 or 4 seconds, then it all shuts off, and the XXXXX XXXXXght appears again. It does click when the power comes on. Total ON time is about 10 - 15 seconds at most, usually less than 10.

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

O.k then although I know that this will not clear the problem , if this just happened and I don`t know what kind of reset you tried , there would be something to try that may help to point to the defective board.

Unless you already tried it, I`d like you to unplug the TV's power cord for 10 minutes or so to let things cool down and then try it again.

This would help to find out if this is a thermal problem , that is if the set shuts down when it reaches a set temp. or an intermittent component.

If you already tried it then , does it makes a difference in the times it stays on after cool off or it stays the same if you try the tv right away after shutdown ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Already tried the pulling the power cord - for 2 full hours. That was one of the resets I mentioned. It was not successful, although in that attempt, it did stay on for about 20, maybe even 25 seconds. If I try a reset quickly, after a failed attempt, that's when it only stays on for a few seconds. So, what does a thermal problem mean?

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Usually the components working the hardest will produce heat and they will be the ones failing when the problem is thermal.

Hardest working components in your tv will be the power board then backlight inverter boards although at this point I would suspect the power board first.

Could you give me a few minutes to see about a service manual for this model ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Go for it, and if you could recommend a parts supplier in the Pittsburgh area - northern suburbs, that would be great.

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for waiting .

Found a service manual but it was by name only ;

What I mean is that like many manuals found nowadays , it is just block diagrams with no real info like voltages or interconnections pin outs etc. that could be useful for someone with a meter who would want to troubleshoot the problem.

So without being there with tools and meters myself , by experience I would definitely give a try to the power board.

As far as part suppliers goes , I`m afraid that I would have online links only .

Could you give me the first letters of your TV's serial number ?

It would look something like ;

AHLEDGAG... AHLEDGAH... LHPAHBH... LJPAHAG... LJPAHAH... etc.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ASLEDBAG360836, THANKS.

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

O.k then the link below would be the best place to get your power board part # XXXXX ;

http://www.vizparts.com/product_detail.php?pid=2478

You could use that part number to do your own shopping as well but I would avoid used parts on ebay even if it seems like a good deal.

That board is definitely the first one I would try but if it turns out to be the inverter boards for example then you will be able to return this one and get credit towards the inverters.

Hope this help and I will be in standby if you have any questions.
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer if that answers your question and note that you can still reach me here at anytime after this chat is closed to continue this if needed.

Jack, Technician
Experience: 35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech