Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience:  20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.
34633555

Rick, I have a Phillips Plasma TV that clicks to high heaven

Customer Question

Rick, I have a Phillips Plasma TV that clicks to high heaven when plugged in. Here are the voltages I read at the output of the PS. 1) All pwba's connected to PS. at X sus conn. Vg=15.5vdc, Vs1=8.2vdc, Vs2=8.2vdc, Va=2.0vdc/at y sus conn. Vg=15.5vdc, Vs1=8.2vdc, Vs2=8.2vdc. 2) With SSB connectors all removed I read at Xsus Vg=15.5vdc, Vs1=205vdc, Vs2=205vdc, Va=62.88/ at the y sus conn. I read Vg=15.5vdc, Vs1=205vdc, Vs2=205vdc Note: PS led is on solid green and no clicking is heard. I disconnect both X & Y from the PS and left the SSB bd connected and the readings were the same as #1 above and clicking could be heard.

What do you think is bad??
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

On the Power Supply Board, or Mainboard do you see the PS_ON connection?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No switch if this is what you mean, the ac connects to bd via a two pin conn.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
No not a switch, a connector with 2-3 pins on the Mainboard or the Power Supply that shorts to ground to give the TV it's turn on command.

This isolates whether the problem is caused by your Mainboard's turn on signal, or the power supply itself.

It should be labeled "PS_ON".
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is a three pin conn. with two wires labeled AC-L and AC-N. I looked very closely at this area and there is no "PS_ON" label

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
No, that's not the correct one.

My apologies, I was looking at Samsung sets, and not Phillips. The fault is either being caused by your Mainboard or your Power Supply, but I am uncertain how to give you the power supply turn on pins to check. I will opt out and open the question for other experts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help, I'll wait to hear from someone.

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Please BE aware
This is tech information service. you are paying for the benefit of my real world experience and can save you time and money
TAKE A CLOSE LOOK AT THE POWER BOARD
Do you see any capaciotrs with puffed tops?
these will usually be towards the bottom of the board in the center but they could be anywhere on the board
check all caps
make sure tops are FLAT not bulged
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Anthony,

I have searched with a magnifier for any stressed components and can not see anything out of order.

Remove both Y buffer boards from the tv
does the clcikcing stop?
2 boards on the kleft from the rear
one over the other
remove them
try tv
you wont get a pict
bt does it still click?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I disconnected both the X and Y boards from the PS bd and the clicking continued. The only time the clicking stopped was when I disconnected the SSB bd at the bottom.

thats your issue the SSB is bad! its shorted and loading down your power supply

Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience: 20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Anthony,

I am going to order a SSB (3XXX-XXX-XXXX4) and replace the one in the TV. Is there any initializing or programming that I will need to do for the new bd???

yes there may be if the tv stays on seems to work but you have no picture then we need to set the board to the tv
lets cross that bridge when we get there
look for a sticker that says " Diversity Code " write that down if you see it