Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

Power turned off while tv was running, now with the power restored

Power turned off while tv was running, now with the power restored it just keeps click on and off from the back, but the tv never turns on>
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Dan :

Thanks for the question. I'm Dan.

Dan :

Let me know when you've joined the chat.

Customer:

I am here

Dan :

Great. Welcome.

Dan :

I just read over your problem.

Customer:

thanks

Dan :

What's the make and model of the TV? How old is it?

Customer:

LG 60PB4DT 2007

Dan :

Thank you.

Dan :

I've worked with this model before, and have seen these same symptoms.

Dan :

The power supply board has been damaged.

Customer:

I have never had any problems with the tv, it was working fine until the power went off

Dan :

Yes, this is definitely a nice model.

Dan :

Do you have basic hand tools like screwdrivers?

Customer:

yes

Dan :

Excellent. The best course of action is to replace the power supply board.

Dan :

Standby. I'll get a price and part number.

Dan :

OK, there are a couple different versions.

Dan :

On the back of the TV, I'll need to know the suffix to the model code.

Dan :

It will be something like "UBAUSLLH"

Dan :

Or similar.

Customer:

ok, give me a minute its downstairs

Dan :

Sure. No rush.

Customer:

UBAUSLLJH

Dan :

OK. Checking.

Dan :

Hm. Look at the last part of that number again. Could it be SLLH or SLLJR?

Customer:

JR

Dan :

Thank you.

Dan :

The power supply part number is XXXXX

Dan :

A brand new one will run you about $180.

Dan :

ShopJimmy.com sells them for less than that, but they're currently out of stock.

Customer:

How do I know that is the problem before spending 180?

Dan :

If you can wait, you can save some money on that.

Dan :

That is the problem. Seen it many times. When these LG models have a power outage (or surge) it compromises the "always on" portion of the TV, which is the power supply. That's what is clicking.... the relays on the power supply.

Dan :

If you are very handy and know about electronics, you can try just replacing the capacitors on the board (6 or so) but that's not quite as good as replacing the whole board.

Customer:

OK, I even had a pwer surge protector on the tv

Dan :

Surge protectors are definitely good investments, but they do not protect against outages unfortunately.

Customer:

OK, I guess I will weigh my options and figure out what to do

Dan :

Good idea. For what it's worth, Shopjimmy.com usually has them for about $120.

Customer:

ok, thanks

Dan :

My pleasure.

Dan :

If you need anything else, just ask.

Dan :

If you're finished for now, please leave me a positive rating before closing the chat.

Customer:

ok thanks

Customer:

yes thanks

Dan :

To leave a rating, just click a smiley face on your screen, then "Submit."

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.