Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

I have a Element ELDFW406 .The top third of the pic has thin

I have a Element ELDFW406 .The top third of the pic has thin white lines-horizontally like the old "retrace" lines. This affects video, menu, etc
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?

When you refer to MENU, do you mean the TV's internal MENU, or a device MENU- such as the Cable MENU?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It has the lines even when no signal is applied. It has the lines on any input .I was referring to the menu on devices-the tv menu does not go up that high

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Okay thank you. If the device video image has the lines, then so would their MENU.

Is there any built in TV menu that will appear in the same area as the lines (Input, channel, etc.)?

Also, do these lines move or flicker?

How thick are they?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It affects channel number info, things like no signal applied, etc. They are very thin like retrace

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
I don't know exactly what retrace lines are.

What I need to know is if the lines follow the object on the screen, or if they are stagnant lines?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

They are stagnant

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Okay, there are essentially three components in the TV that could cause this. None of them are corrected via any settings or adjustments in the TV.

Are you looking to repair this yourself, or are you looking for a diagnosis and repair estimate?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

myself

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Do you have a meter, and are you able to test the voltages from the power supply board to see if any are dropping, or out of spec?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Okay, start there and check specifically the 12 volts that feeds the T-Con board and see if it's in spec.

Also, check and make sure there are no obviously bulged or domed capacitors on the power supply board, as these can cause the outputs to emit noise in the video signal.

If the supply checks out good, then what you would want to replace is the T-Con (LCD timing controller), board as this is what typically generates these lines.

There is a very slight chance the problem is in the panel itself, but usually thin lines like this are video noise, or a faulty T-Con board.

If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to rate me before logging off.

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.