Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

I have a Samsung tv model number ln40b640r3f the screen occationaly

I have a Samsung tv model number ln40b640r3f the screen occationaly flickers it happens when just watching tv as well as movies any advice
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Dan :

Thanks for the question. I'm Dan.

Dan :

Let me know when you're in the chat.

Customer:

im ready

Dan :

Excellent. Welcome.

Dan :

So you have a LN40B640R3F that flickers occassionally.

Customer:

I was curious after researching on internet it seems other people have similar issue with 46in and 52 and 55 they cut a jumper and seems to have fix problem answer is yes to your question

Dan :

What do you have connected to the TV?

Dan :

Cable box?

Customer:

I had ps3 along with direc tv box

Dan :

Thank you.

Dan :

I'll need you to turn the TV on, and bring up the Samsung menu.

Dan :

You can do that by pressing MENU on the original Samsung remote, or on the front of the TV itself.

Dan :

I need to know if the menu flickers, too.

Customer:

alright may take a few min I have tv unhooked right now

Dan :

Sure. No rush.

Customer:

ok I plugged tv back in and it isn't flickering right now it happens intermediately but I have had it on menu screen before when it was flickering and it still happened

Customer:

the flickering is like a strobe light picture doesn't black out or anything

Dan :

If you're sure the menu flickers, then you've got a defective inverter/power circuit board.

Dan :

There isn't a jumper to cut on your model.

Dan :

Part number is XXXXX

Customer:

if it doesn't flicker on menu what would u suggest

Dan :

You can get one >>here<<.

Dan :

If it's not flickering on the menu, then you might have a defective main board.

Dan :

But sometimes that type of thing is caused by defective cabling or poor connections, as well.

Dan :

Usually the menu flickers with the picture, but it's always best to check.

Dan :

Based on the strobe light flickering, I would recommend replacing the power board.

Dan :

The one I linked you to a moment ago.

Dan :

The good news is that it's pretty inexpensive, and not difficult to replace.

Customer:

how much does that cost or since im having troubles with tv is it better to just purchase new tv

Dan :

The board is $62.

Dan :

I would replace the board.

Dan :

Definitely a more cost effective option at this point.

Customer:

ok I really appreciate your help ty

Dan :

My pleasure!

Dan :

To close the chat, please leave me a positive rating.

Dan :

You can do that by clicking a smiley face on your screen, then "Submit."

Customer:

alright I certainly will first im going to click on link you gave me and find board to order

Dan :

No problem. Have a great Saturday!

Customer:

you to ty again

Dan :

My pleasure!

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.