Steven, Technician
Experience:  Ma. Master Technician Lic. Authorized Warranty Support.

We have a Sony XBR8 55" TV that has developed a vertical line/shadowing

We have a Sony XBR8 55" TV that has developed a vertical line/shadowing issue that is most noticeable when there's wriing on the screen - like during a baseball game or the news. If we're watching a DVD, the picture is almost normal. We really like the TV and would like to have it repaired if possible. Is this problem repairable? We had a TV repairman look at it several weeks ago. He took a picture of the screen to send to Sony. He charged us $85 and haven't heard anything since.
Category: TV
Expert:  Steven replied 10 months ago.

Steven : Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX you have the model number of the Tv
Expert:  Steven replied 10 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The model number is XXXXX

Expert:  Steven replied 10 months ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the issue effect the menu if you use the Sony TV remote to bring up the menu?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes. The vertical lines are present when using the remote to bring up the menu.

Expert:  Steven replied 10 months ago.
So they effect the menu text or icons? Does the issue effect all parts of the screen or just one side?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

They affect menu text and icons anywhere on the screen.

Expert:  Steven replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX explanation I believe this is a LCD panel problem ( screen ) unfortunately the cost to replace the screen will exceed the value of the TV. Depending on the age of the TV Sony May be willing to provide assistance in some way. They will want a diagnostics done by a authorized Sony service center. If the servicer you had look at it is authorized he may be able to help with this. I would suggest trying to get back in touch with them to see if he is authorized and what his diagnostics is and then get in touch with Sony at 1(NNN) NNN-NNNNto see if they will provide any assistance. Please feel free to reply using the reply to expert button if I can be of further assistance. I am sorry there is not a simple solution to the issue with your TV.
Steven, Technician
Experience: Ma. Master Technician Lic. Authorized Warranty Support.