Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Hi Nathan, I have Samsung TV un55es7500 and Bose Cinemate

Hi Nathan,
I have Samsung TV un55es7500 and Bose Cinemate 1SR. The soundbar worked only in the beginning (both for cable box source and DVD player), then sound went off. I have tried all suggestions by Bose customer service, they even sent me a new sound bar, it still does not work. I have mounted a soundbar to another TV/cable box (using the same cables) and it works.
Is this a problem of the TV?
Thanks
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, thanks for requesting me, and for your question.

Nathan :

Am I correct in assuming that your sources (cable box, dvd player, etc) are hooked up to the tv via hdmi, and the tv is connected to the bose via optical?

Customer:

Yes. Cable box and DVD are connected through hdmi. TV is connected to sound bar via optical, and another optical is connected from soundbar to cable box. Coax is connected from sound bar to DVD

Nathan :

Ok so you have multiple connections going on then.

Nathan :

Are you getting sound from any of those inputs on the soundbar?

Customer:

well i got rid off dvd connection and sound bar, trying to isolate the problem. so now its only TV, cable box and soundbar

Nathan :

Ok, so you still have an optical connection from the cable box to the AUX optical input on the bose?

Customer:

yes

Nathan :

And when you set the bose to Aux/Optical input mode, do you get any sound that way?

Customer:

youe mean Bose to Cable box = via optical? no sound

Customer:

its like TV is not sending any sound to sound bar. and there is nothing to compare.

Nathan :

Yes, that is what I meant.

Nathan :

Can you please disconnect the optical between the tv and the bose for now.

Customer:

i tried the same layout with another Samsung TV (older model) and it works

Nathan :

hook the cable box, via optical, to the port on the bose labeled TV optical

Customer:

ok

Nathan :

set the bose to TV input mode, and see if you get sound that way (cable box on, and tuned in to a working channel, of course)

Customer:

done

Customer:

what do you mean?

Customer:

i didnt see a previous post

Nathan :

I'm not sure what you're asking about.

Nathan :

I'm just saying I want you to plug the cable box into the bose, in the port that had previously connect the bose to the tv.

Nathan :

Then set the bose to the tv input mode (so it will pick up the signal that should now be coming from cable box)

Nathan :

and check if you can get sound in that configuration

Customer:

ok, TV input on bose - i connected my cable box to this input

Nathan :

ok

Customer:

yes, i get the sound like this

Nathan :

Ok good, we're making progress then.

Nathan :

We at least know the bose is ok, and the cable box is ok.

Nathan :

Go ahead and put things back the way they were before, with samsung connected to the bose tv input jack

Customer:

and cable back to aux?

Nathan :

You can leave the cable disconnected for now

Nathan :

let's focus on the tv,

Nathan :

can you have a look at the back of the samsung, where the optical cable plugs in

Nathan :

do you see a red light inside that optical port?

Customer:

no red lite

Nathan :

You are looking on the digital out port, on the back of the tv, correct?

Nathan :

Also look at the optical out port on the back of the cable box. The tv's port should look exactly like the cable box.

Customer:

digital audio out - optical

Nathan :

in terms of how they are lit up

Nathan :

Okay, just wanted to be sure, because this is an uncommon problem, but does happen sometimes.

Nathan :

Since that is not lit up, it is a sign that the optical output on the samsung has failed.

Customer:

cable box output is red

Nathan :

Normally this output is always on, there is really no need for the tv to ever disable it.

Nathan :

so it not being red means that the laser emiter inside that port (or another component on the board) has gone bad.

Customer:

so?

Nathan :

There is really no easy fix here, it would require changing out the main board where the optical output (and all of the inputs) resides.

Nathan :

Unless the tv happens to be less than a year old and under warranty,

Customer:

the tv is new, 6 months old

Nathan :

it's not going to be worth fixing.

Nathan :

Okay, well then you have that option

Nathan :

you can take this up with samsung and have them fix it under warranty

Nathan :

In the meantime, we can change things around a bit so you can at least have sound for watching tv

Customer:

but can i connect it through coax output from tv to bose?

Nathan :

No, the tv won't have a coax output, just the optical

Nathan :

but what you can do is use the optical output from cable box directly to the bose

Customer:

ok

Nathan :

as well as the same (or coax) from the dvd player to bose

Customer:

so directly

Nathan :

This becomes a minor annoyance, as you have to change video source on the tv, and audio source on the bose separately, each time you go between cable/dvd

Nathan :

Since it's not working at all, you can go ahead and disconnect the optical connection between the tv and the bose

Customer:

you mean on bose remote

Customer:

ok

Nathan :

hook the cable box optical up to the TV input port on the bose (and leave bose on TV mode when watching cable)

Customer:

ok

Nathan :

yes, that's what I mean, on the bose remote for sound, on samsung remote (Source button) for picture.

Nathan :

Then put the dvd player on on the AUX port, either coax or optical

Customer:

i get it. we watch cablebox most of the time anyway

Nathan :

Ok, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal then

Nathan :

And when you're ready to get the tv fixed, you can call Samsung warranty support at 1-800-SAMSUNG

Customer:

so Aux optical on bose to optical DVD?

Nathan :

they'll dispatch a technician out to your home to fix it. Be sure to tell them exactly what is happening (that the optical port has failed) so the tech will know to bring a main board for the tv, otherwise he'll have to make another trip later.

Nathan :

Yes, that is correct, aux optical bose to dvd

Customer:

ok, let me try it whether DVD works

Nathan :

Ok

Customer:

i press aux on bose remote?

Nathan :

Yes

Customer:

ok, it works

Nathan :

Great

Nathan :

Well, not so great that the tv is broken, but at least you've got a working system for now

Nathan :

though you could really keep things this way if you wanted to long term, if you don't feel like dealing with repairs.

Nathan :

But if the optical port went out, there is a chance there is some other damage that could come up later too, so it's probably best to get it taken care of now while it's under warranty, because something like this will cost you about $400 later on.

Customer:

wait, no sound from DVD, its cable box sound

Customer:

i have mistakenly thought its dvd

Nathan :

You might have to hit that aux button a couple of times to cycle through all the different options

Customer:

no sound

Nathan :

Try hitting the other source buttons on the bose remote instead

Nathan :

the aux port may be programmed one of them

Nathan :

like the sat/cable, bd/dvd, etc

Customer:

nothing

Customer:

i only hear cable box sound regardless which button source i press

Nathan :

You were doing this on the bose remote, correct?

Customer:

yes

Nathan :

Ok we're missing something here then, do you see a source/input button on the speaker itself anywhere?

Customer:

on the speaker? there is nothing on the bar.

Nathan :

And there is no other source/input mode button on the bose remote, other than the predefined sources (cable/dvd/aux, etc)

Customer:

correct

Nathan :

That's what I thought, this should be a simple button press,

Nathan :

You might need to turn off the cable box

Nathan :

because the bose is prioritizing the tv input mode

Nathan :

and as long as it's getting signal on the tv optical port (from cable box) that is all it will use.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Nathan :

Power that off, and then see if it picks up the signal from the dvd

Customer:

it does not work. but Bose main input has one optical and one coax. maybe coax should be used to DVD?

Nathan :

If that won't do it, then the bose's internal switch won't go to the aux input because it's detecting the tv (cable) connection, and the only way around that is to only use the "tv" input port on the bose, which would mean switching the cord between cable and dvd.

Nathan :

There should be 2 optical,

Customer:

i get it

Customer:

no, its only one

Nathan :

one under the TV setting, and 1 under Aux (with coax being the other aux choice)

Customer:

correct, i though you were refering to TV input

Nathan :

No the aux one.

Nathan :

It wouldn't hurt to try the coax, but hopefully just powering off the cable box will shut down that signal, and allow it to switch over to the AUX input

Customer:

coax works

Nathan :

Ok good

Customer:

but no control over remote

Customer:

i turned on cable box, but can not switch sound

Nathan :

So coax was working from dvd, when the cable box was turned off?

Customer:

now i turned dvd off, and sound from cable came in

Nathan :

Ah ok, back on track then.

Customer:

yes, cable was off

Nathan :

The automatic switching function on these bose units can be quirky

Customer:

i realized that. i should have bought sonos bar

Customer:

anyway, once TV optical is repaired should all work?

Nathan :

Yes, then when tv is fixed, don't connect cable or dvd to the bose at all.

Nathan :

Just hdmi from cable box and dvd into tv, and optical out from tv to bose

Customer:

but bose setup requires also Aux to be connected to cable and dvd, so the system compares the cound

Nathan :

well if it is only getting one source (optical from tv) then it will use only that by default.

Customer:

ok, thanks

Nathan :

You can certainly add the other connections (opt/coax) too, but I don't believe it is necessary

Nathan :

But it won't hurt to have them either

Customer:

and replacing optical part can be done at home?

Nathan :

Well it really depends on samsung. Typically the labor costs that would be incurred to fix the optical port (soldering in new components to existing board) and travel time will be more than replacing the whole board, so they usually will just swap out the board, which can be done in site.

Nathan :

That also depends on the technician they send, but most will prefer to do it there than having to haul a big tv back and forth

Customer:

ok thanks. thank you for the assistance

Nathan :

You're very welcome.

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.