Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

Hello, I bought a Panasonic Media Projection Display TV about

Hello, I bought a Panasonic Media Projection Display TV about 9 years ago. The Model # XXXXX and the Serial Number is XXXXX This TV has worked awesome and the picture has been perfect. Just the other day, when I tried to turn on the TV, the green light blinked for a long time, then it blinked red and stopped. I cannot turn the TV on, yet the picture was fine the day before this problem. Can anyone help?
Thank you, Patty
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

When was the last time the lamp was replaced on this set?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Six months ago

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the reply.

When you press the power button on the TV, which light is blinking green?

Also, where did you purchase the lamp from and how much did you pay for it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The top light, the power light button, that always turns green when I turn the TV on.

I purchased the lamp from EBAY. I know the seller. I paid $150.00.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
How many times does that light blink before turning red?

Also, do the fans fire up when you press power?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Blinks too many to count. Fan does come on.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Okay there's a power light, lamp light and a Temp light on the set.

Does the red lamp light blink at all a couple of times while the green light is blinking?

Also, do you hear a click and a buzz sound after the fans fire up?

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Sorry, disregard last message. I have the service manual up in front of me.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

We hear a buzz. Didn't notice a click. Yes, I just noticed the lamp light blink red a couple of times when I took the front panel off.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Okay right out of the service manual, the green blinking power light "flashes green for 140 seconds, then flashes red", and Lamp LED flashes once every 5 seconds, is a specific fault.

It indicates that the voltage to the lamp has gone above 130 volts or below 30 volts due to a faulty lamp, or a faulty ballast which is the lamp power supply.

The most common cause of this problem is a faulty lamp, however the only way to know is to either replace the lamp, or use a meter to measure the ballast output to the lamp to ensure it's around 100 volts DC or so- in that range.

If you're not comfortable measuring the voltages off of the ballast then you should treat this is a faulty lamp and contact the retailer about any warranty he may have on it.

Another quick check would would be to pull the lamp and see if it's shattered. This is a possibility, but not always the case, however if you DO see a shattered lamp then you'll know for sure that this is causing the problem.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you! not sure what to do. Don't want to spend money on a lamp if it is not the problem. I do not feel comfortable measuring the voltage.

I also wanted to say that I cannot be %100 sure the fan went on. The TV keeps blinking red so I can't stop it to start it again.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
You're welcome and I wish I had better news. The blink code does indeed indicate the lamp first, then the ballast as secondary. It would be a gambit to purchase the lamp I agree, so I'm not sure what to suggest as what you should do. I would personally, if it were me, purchase another lamp in the hopes that it's what's causing the issue. All we have to go by is what the service manual tells us, and beyond that the set does require service. If the issue goes beyond the lamp, then a Shop till typically charge around $300 parts and labor to diagnose and replace the ballast in your set. If you choose to go this route you can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to rate my service accordingly.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I will rate you, but I don't feel satisfied. There are too many variables inn your answers. Not your fault, per say. I should have ordered another manual. Honestly Aric, I believe you did your best, XXXXX XXXXX cannot afford the $38. Can you help us?

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

I can't control the pricing or anything else, all I can do is give you all the info on your set with regarding this problem.

The link to the service manual for your set is below if you want to dig deeper then you can view the manual:

http://brogers.napalm.net/gallery/tv_repair/PT-50LC13.pdf

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.