Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

my Toshiba custom series big screen projection tv doesnt start

my Toshiba custom series big screen projection tv doesn't start right away and I have squiggly lines...what could it be?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 11 months ago.
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-If you push the MENU button on the tv, does the menu show normal or is it affected too?
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

it only happens at start up and the model number is XXXXX

OK can you push the menu button and tell me if it shows normal or not?

Thanks,
TIm
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes it looks fine!!

Ok thats what I expected.

Now do you have more than one thing hooked to the tv? (game, dvd, etc.)

Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes, there is a dvd player and a Wii hooked up. I think it is startup mode, when I turn it on after being gone all day, it takes forever to see a pic, and it is very snowy, after about 3 minutes, once it warms up it all works fine

OK so if you try to watch a dvd or play the wii when you have the problem, does it look poor on those devices too?

Thanks,
TIm
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes if we try to turn the tv on to play wii, it is snowy then as well

OK, unfortunately this is a common failure in your tv.

What you have here is a bad hyper module in the tv. The problem here is that the part is pretty expensive, the part number 23148433, runs around $200 itself. If you have a tech install it for you, that normally runs $200. So total normally around $400 maybe a little more depending on where you are located.

I am sorry to bring the bad news Scott, I wish I had a simpler fix for you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

where should I order the part from? is it hard to install?

I would recommend www.encompassparts.com, I also found it on amazon and ebay.

Its not hard but not recommended if you are not comfortable working on electronics. This set produces 30,000 volts to feed the tubes, this can cause serious injury if you don't know what you are doing.

Tim

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.