Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

case # XXXXX panasonic tv model #TC-P50U50 PLASMA HDTV

case # XXXXX panasonic tv model #TC-P50U50

TV keeps powering off and power light keeps flashing.
called for help at panasonic support.

Support stated that I would need a tech to come out to repair tv
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?
Was it after a storm or power outage?
Does the standby/timer light blink continuously, or in a pattern (such as 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, pause, etc.)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was told to unplug my tv wait a few minutes and then plug it back in. If tv starts to flash count the number of flashes.

Then they gave me this email to contact you guys

Okay, that is all well and good, but I need the specific answer to the questions that I posted above to be able to begin to assist you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

purchase at Sears on 9/03/12

problem happen today

no storm and no power outage

power light blinks in a pattern 8 times pause than starts again

Thanks for the reply Eddie. Does the light start to blink as soon as it's plugged in, or only after the power button is pressed? Also, are you certain it's blinking 8 times, pause 8 times, pause, etc.?

The reason I ask is that this is a code that may point us to what is causing the issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

as soon as it's plugged in the tv starts to come on but then it shut off and then it starts to blink.

I counted the number over the phone to the panasonic support team

Thanks for the reply Eddie.

I'm not sure what your skill level of repairs is, but the 8 blink code on this set indicates "Driver SOS3, SS, FPC, DET", which is a fault that requires troubleshooting inside the set to correct.

There is an extra SOS Detect circuit in the Sustain board. This circuit is used to monitor for physical connection between the panel and the SS board.
Under normal condition, Q16280 is on. When Q16280 is on, a low is provided to the anode of D16280 (D280).
If one of the FPC cables is open, Q16280 turns off and a high is provided to the anode of D16280 (D280). This high is provided to pin 66 of the CPU in the A board. When this happens, the TV shuts down and the power LED blinks 8 times.

If this is beyond what you're comfortable with, then you're looking at an average cost of between $150-$250 parts and labor to repair this set.

If you need further assistance let me know.

If you'd rather hire a Tech to repair the set then you can locate one using the link below:

Please do not forget to rate my service before you log off.