Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

my rca dlp hd61lpw42 tv once plugged in, the power light on

my rca dlp hd61lpw42 tv once plugged in, the power light on front button stays on and wont shut off. upon first plug in, it went off I pushed and lamp and fan came on but no picture. ever since then everytime I plug it in, I hear power clicking and light on front button comes on but it won't go off.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

How long have you owned the set for and when did the problem occur?

Also, does the light on the front of the set ever blink?

When was the last time the lamp was replaced on this set?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I was just given this tv yesterday, not sure when lamp was last replaced...but it did come on once initially. the person that gave it to me said it worked this past sunday. they purchased a new lcd and gave me this one.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the reply Logan.

So right now, if you unplug the set, then plug it back in and press power, can you tell me exactly what the set does?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

once I plug it in, I can hear it click from power but nothing in back comes on anymore. the power indicator light on the front power button comes on right away and stays on and wont go off. the front power button light did not blink at all.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Hmm, thank you Logan. This definitely does indicate that something is wrong inside the TV. Can you please unplug the set, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself for 15 seconds?

Then carefully remove and re-install the Lamp- making sure it is secure and the lamp door is closed tightly. Plug the TV back in and press power once. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

it still does the same thing...as soon as I plug it in, the power light stays on and doesn't go off after 30 seconds, after I pushed power button it didn't change, nothing comes on.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
You've got a fault in the set, and it will require opening the TV up and using a Meter to isolate it, then determine how to repair.

Most likely culprit, is the power supply board having one or more faulty capacitors preventing it from booting up, but there's other culprits as well.

You're not able to get a blink code from the set, so there's nothing pointing us at a more specific failure at this point.

Are you looking to go inside the set yourself with a meter, and are you comfortable measuring live voltages?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yeah, I read some about that on the internet about the capacitors. its just weird that it all fired up once initially. I already have back of tv off looking for loose connections/bad solder. I am comfortable using meter but am not sure what everything is inside, lol. are they basic readings or do you think I need somebody to look at it for me?

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

You would need a service manual to dig deeper into this set, and unfortunately I don't have a hard copy that I can provide. The only source I could locate one is at the link below:

https://www.completeservicemanuals.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=1659

You can follow the basic troubleshooting guide in the manual as far as testing voltages to see which, if any are missing or shorted from the supply board that are preventing it from booting up.

Most common cause of this is the Power Supply itself, and you can replace that board as a whole in lieu of repairing the board.

A good source to purchase replacement boards is www.shopjimmy.com and www.tvpartsguy.com . Again this is the most common failure in the set, but it is not 100% certain.

If you're not comfortable going in and testing yourself, then a tech will typically charge around $250 parts and labor for this type of repair. In this case you can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to rate my service before logging off.

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.