Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

i have a samsung hlp5063wx/xaa tv. the picture comes on fine,

i have a samsung hlp5063wx/xaa tv. the picture comes on fine, but the picture goes out after 2 min (sound is ok). three lights flash on the front. if i unplug the tv and wait 30 seconds, and fire up the tv again...again, the picture comes on just fine, but after two minutes it goes out again....i pulled out the lamp to look at the ballast and note there is some white goo in there, like it has leaked out of something...looks kind of like marshmallow goo....
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

There is only one thing we really need to look at here based on all of these symptoms- and that is the Lamp.

When was this lamp last replaced and where was it purchased from?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it was purchased as a replacement lamp from samsung

Thanks for the reply.

I have to tell you that ALL of the symptoms you have here- picture for a few seconds, 3 LEDs on the set blink, and you're left with sound but no picture ALL point to textbook lamp failure.

It's very rare for the lamp to shatter, or blow completely as they are not like regular lamps. They are the same type of construction as florescent light bulbs, in that they are charged with a gas, and once the gas leaks, they will light for a brief period of time then go out. This means that the lamp is unstable and needs to be changed out.

The solution here is to replace the lamp, your ballast is fine as it sparks the lamp up with no problem, and there's no symptoms that would cause us to look elsewhere. You can purchase the replacement lamp for your set at the link below, or from Samsung again if you'd like:

If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to rate me before logging off.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have another bulb....which already has about 6 mo. use on it when i changed it out (i can't remember why i did that, but i still have the bulb)....i will put it in and see if that fixes the problem....if it does not fix the problem, what should i do

It all depends on if the old lamp you have is OEM, and how much life if any it has. I can't tell if that other lamp you have is good, but I can tell you that ANY shop or tech that sees this problem based on what you've told us is going to suggest to replace the lamp. If the problem is not the lamp, then you could be looking at a fault in the power supply or the DMD board, among other things, but I would not even begin to worry about that until you replace the lamp. There's no reason right now to believe that it's anything else.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i will try the other bulb...but i will rate you now too

That sounds good and if you need further assistance don't hesitate to post back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i put the other bulb in and the tv pic and sound came on now just waiting to see if it stays on

Okay sounds good.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its been 7 minutes and it's still i'm thinking that was the problem. excellent service aric...can you send me another rating thing or can i use the one you sent in this thread

Excellent and I'm glad to hear that. If you could use the rating bar that's already sent that would be best as I'm not allowed to send it again unless I post another "Answer".