Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I have a Polaroid "HD Widescreen LCD TV/DVD Combo 1913-TDXB".

I have a Polaroid "HD Widescreen LCD TV/DVD Combo 1913-TDXB". I purchased this unit 01-08-10. As of today, while the unit was running just fine all of a sudden the picyure went blank but the sound remained.

When I shut off the unit for a while and back on the Polaroid screen word comes and then the picture went blank again.

I waited a while and turned the unit back on and the picture re-appeared and remained there for a while and then again it went blank.

I did this two more times and the same think happened.

Can this be fixed at a reasonable cost ?

Thank you.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the polaroid,

Nathan :

This is unfortunately a common problem among LCD tvs,

Nathan :

since you are getting sound, but no picture, this indicates a few possible problems. Either the inverter board which powers the backlight (think of it as a ballast system that a fluorescent light would use) has failed, or the panel (screen) itself (or the connection tabs to it) has failed.

Nathan :

While these things can technically be repaired, for a set this age and size, it will not be reasonable to do so. You'd spend $300+ for parts and labor, while a new tv can be found for $150-200

Nathan :

If you'd like to pursue repairs anyway, I can try to help you find a local shop, but typically most shops won't work on Polaroid sets, because this is a 3rd tier brand (they don't make their own components - it is made by someone else and rebranded) and they usually can't get parts for them.