Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.

my lcd Toshiba 556310U dies not turn on. The light turns green

my lcd Toshiba 556310U dies not turn on. The light turns green for 4 second and then goes back to red. I unplugged the tv from the wall and plugged it back in and then it worked, I had to do it every time I wanted to watch tv. Now after 4 days that does not work anymoe. From online research I think I need a new part ( like a new starter hardware) Can you help
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Now..This could be several things things , the TV definitely has an internal failure. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

Your power supply board is very likely faulty. This is common on these newer flat panel sets. This fault is usually caused by bad capacitors (leaking or bulging) on the board but could be also some other components or combination of issues with that board.

Less likely is the Main board, the TCON board or the actual LCD panel.
If the TV is under warranty, let me know.

If it isn't and if you are handy with a screwdriver, we can do a visual confirmation and a couple of tests by unplugging various boards and seeing if the voltages are present at the power supply.

Can you do this do you think? If so, remove the back and we'll take a look. You would need a multimeter capable of measuring DC volts and resistance.

If not, give me your zip and I'll find you a tech in your area.

The cost for the board is usually about $100. I can try and find you one. To have this repaired is going to cost you $250 and up - clearly not economical since a new TV costs not much more.

I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure. Let me know how you want to proceed so that we can continue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can unscrew the backboard and open the tv. I only have regular voltage tester that I use in the house outlets, would that work?

No you would ideally need a digital multimeter so that we can measure DC volts and also impedance.

Any chance of getting hold of one?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not really I do not even know where could I get one. what are the chances its the main board? Where can I get one for my model. Are there any other ways to figure out what I need. I am pretty good with tols and I would like to try to fix it myself if possible

Without a multimeter, I can only give you the most likely candidate which is the power supply board.

To find you a board, I need you to look at the label on the back of the TV and the label on the board itself.

The power supply board is the one with the two heatsinks and the one where the power cord arrives at.

Please give me all the info on those two labels please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

label from the tv model #556310U 120 V 60 Hz 3.1 amps max July 2011 B28189M53518A1

Power label 01-PK101V2560I-VSP1M-B21-2447-100

Great. >>>CLICK HERE<<< for the board you need.

Remember, this is the most likely failure.

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

u are the best. Thank You so much

You are welcome.

Please consider rating my service using the smiley faces or stars that appear right here on this page It is the only way I am compensated by this site. It works like an eBay or Amazon rating so please consider clicking on one of the better choices :)

It does not close our discussion. We can continue if needed.

I thank you in advance.