Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have an older Sony TV - tube type - that I used to use with

I have an older Sony TV - tube type - that I used to use with a corded headphone set. It seems that the pulling of the jack in and out has loosened something in the sound system. I can't get sound on one channel unless I poke a toothpick in the jack and wiggle it. Then I can get sound out of one speaker...if I stand there and hold the toothpick just right! I hate to junk an otherwise perfectly good TV for something that just seems to be loose, but most of my fav programs are on that channel. Can this be fixed easily?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.

Nathan :

Hello, I'm Nathan and I will be assisting you today. Please remember to rate/accept my answer when we have finished. Thank you.

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the sony,

Nathan :

I'd suspect that the jack has indeed worked its way loose over time and with repeated use. The solder connection from jack to the control board in the tv has likely cracked and failed.

Nathan :

in theory, it is an easy fix, open the tv up and solder the loose connection back into place.

Nathan :

In reality, unless you are experienced with this type of electronics repair yourself, you probably won't find it practical. Most shops are going to have a minimum of 1 or 2 hours labor charge, so expect to spend upwards of $100 for this. For an older tv, that is likely nearing the end of it's useful life anyway, that is probably better invested in a new set; especially when you can get a tv this size for under $200

Nathan :

What you might find makes more sense here is a workaround;

Nathan :

If you use a cable/satellite box, what you can do is to hook your headphones up to it directly, rather than to the tv.

Nathan :

If you find the output volume insufficient, there are some small headphone amps you can get relatively inexpensively.

Nathan :

You'd just need a minijack to stereo rca adapter to plug the headphones into the box directly.

Nathan :

This is the type of adapter I'm referring to:

Nathan :

If you'd prefer to pursue repairs, I can try to help you find a local shop, or I can recommend a replacement tv, if you'd like.

Customer:

Please/

Nathan :

Please what? It seems your last post was cut off.

Customer:

Please find a repair shop in my area if possible. We have other TVs that are newer and I find they distort pictures or have to size down the picture.

Nathan :

Okay, what is your zip code?

Customer:

95519

Nathan :

It looks like the only one right in your city is Ronstronics, 1(707)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Nathan :

Actually that is in Eureka, sorry.

Nathan :

Is that far from you?

Nathan :

The next closet options are likely going to be in the SF area. If you know of any other local electronics shops, this should be a fiarly straightfoward repair for anyone that is handy with electronics, it is a simple solder joint. So it doesn't have to be a tv repair shop, or even a sony authorized repair facility, as no special parts should be needed.

Nathan :

You might even try a computer shop, appliance repair shop, or an electrican, if it would save you a long drive.

Customer:

Not too far. Never heard of them. I'll call them in the morning tho. Is there a way I can get a copy of your instructions so maybe my husband can attempt to do something about this. He's not bad at electronics , however not an expert.

Nathan :

Yes of course, after you have rated me (with the smiley faces below), or live chat will convert over to a standard web page, which you can then save/print as needed.

Nathan :

If he wants to give it a go himself, there are tons of videos on youtube where he could learn how to solder.

Nathan :

Just be careful about touching anything else inside as these older tube tvs carry some very dangerous high voltage charges, even when unplugged.

Customer:

We both know how to solder.... He just mentioned the voltage charges and doesn't want to mess with it.

Nathan :

I can certainly respect that, it's better to be cautious than to be injured.

Nathan :

Hopefully one of the local shops will be able to clear this up for you.

Nathan :

If not, or if it doesn't seem to be a reasonable cost, feel free to get back in touch and I can tell you more about the workaround I mentioned, or help you with a new tv if you'd prefer.

Customer:

So I guess I'll call Rontronics tomorrow. I could use some tutoring on the newer TVs. I don't want to get into the big $$$s tho. I would be looking for the best quality for a reasonable price. I'm looking for something that will fit in a 30" cabinet. These old Trinitrons went forever.

Nathan :

In general, I recommend the panasonic plasma tv's for most of my clients. They have a great picture, are reasonable price, and tend to be quite reliable. You'll need a smaller size of course, likely a 22 or 24", to fit into a square cabinet.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50-100 (depending on size) which is well worth it.

Customer:

I'vw never seen a Panasonic plasmas at our Costco,but maybe because I wasn't rally looking for a TV

Nathan :

They usually have several.

Nathan :

I would stay away from the Sony models actually. The old trinitrons were great, but their new tvs tend to be poor quality and don't last long, they don't make any of their own parts anymore.

Customer:

Sounds like a good idea tho. Panasonic has always been a good brand.

Customer:

Thanks for that. It's sad.

Customer:

sony had such good products.

Nathan :

It is, nothing is made like it used to be though, just part of todays throwaway society.

Customer:

Yep. I thank you for your patience. I get kind of attached to things when they serve so long and well. Guess I'

Customer:

ll go shopping too.

Nathan :

You're very welcome, best of luck to you with the repairs (or replacement, if it should become necessary)

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a good day,

Customer:

Thank you!

Customer:

Laura

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.