Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have a Mitsubishi WD 57731 The lamp burned out about 2 months

I have a Mitsubishi WD 57731 The lamp burned out about 2 months aqgo and I got a replacement from Mitsubishi. Everything worked fine until yesterday. When I try to turn it on the green timer light flashes for about 20 seconds then goes off then comes on solid, then I hear the fan start to spin and the TV comes on but immediatly shuts down and the red status light flashes and won't stop until I unplug the set or hit the reset button which starts the process over again. Any ideas???

Gary C. Thompson

[email protected]
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Can you please tell me the blink code of the Red Status light? It should be blinking a pattern, such as 6 blinks, pause, 1 blink, then repeat.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK hang on I'll go check............

Alright thank you and let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, no pattern. Just a steady blinking. Won't stop untill I unplug it. The lamp light flashed on very briefly too but the went out. The lamp is only 2 months old.

Thank you for the reply.

That is very rare that the Status light will not blink a code, that is what the TV uses to generate the fault code when it has problems.

Did you purchase this lamp directly from Mitsubishi, and did it cost around $170 or so?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I bought it through Mitsubishi and that's about what it cost. Should I try to take out the lamp and reseat it???

It would not hurt, because the status blinking steadily indicates that the Fans have stopped, or there is a problem with the fans being intermittent in the set. Please unplug the set from power, then carefully remove and reinstall the lamp making sure it is secure, plug the set back in and power it back up.

Let me know what happens and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, gimme about 5 or 10 minutes.......

No problem, I will be here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Took the lamp out and it looks OK not burnt or anything, no spots. When I put it back in and plugged it in the green light flashes and now the lamp light starts blinking and the green light goes out.

The lamps don't typically look any different when they fail unless they shatter or smoke, because they rely on a gas charge inside the lamp that is different than a standard lamp- they are more closely related to florescents than standard light bulbs.

So, right now how many times does the Lamp Light blink?

Do the Fans fire up?

Is the Status light blinking at all at this point?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lamp light is blinking steady, no pattern. Red status light is no longer on.

Fans are not starting up.

This indicates that the lamp is not inserted all of the way, or the lamp door is not securely closed. Can you check these things again for me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK Hang on.........

No problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah, I didn't put the plastic lamp cover back on because I thought I might have to take the lamp out again and I didn't think a little plastic cover would matter. I guess it did.. I put the cover back on and now it's doing the same as before. The green light blinks rapidly for about 20 seconds then shuts off. If I press the power button then to turn it on the green light comes on steady, the fans start up, the TV comes on but immediatly shuts down and the red status light blinks steady.

Thanks for the reply Gary.

Per the Service Manual for this set, the red blinking Status light indicates Fan failure in the set, which can mean that one of the fans is simply not firing up due to dust, is seized, or has a spun bearing. There are 3 fans in this set- an Exhaust, Ballast and DMD fans, and it only takes one of them being faulty to cause this problem. Average cost to have the faulty fan isolated and replaced(if you're not looking to open up the set yourself), is between $150-$200 parts and labor.

If you'd like, you can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:

If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to rate me before logging off.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where can I get the fans myself???

I can't locate the Fans in this set for sale anywhere- that's what I was doing previously. One of the fans, you absolutely cannot even access unless you remove the entire Light Engine which is a pretty big deal.

The source I usually use for replacement parts is showing out of stock on all three fans:

What you can also do, is access, remove and thoroughly, clean EACH fan in the set, then add a couple of drops of WD-40 to the spindle of each fan to essentially refurbish them, assuming that they are not physically broken.

To see more about where the fans are, the Service manual can give you some ideas, but does not show an exploded view, or step by step how to access the fans. The Service manual for your set is at the link below:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help Aric. You earned your 28 dollars and an excellant rating.

Thank you for the reply. Could you please use the smileys that the site uses to rate me? That is the only way that I am credited. I don't get $28, but I appreciate the kind words :-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did what you said and cleaned the fans and the TV is working GREAT now. Thanks again.

Excellent and I am glad to hear that Gary!!