Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have a Sanyo DP42849 LCD tv. It makes a loud noise when turned

I have a Sanyo DP42849 LCD tv. It makes a loud noise when turned on and you see the picture. Then shortly after that the screen goes black but I still hear the tv.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
If you press MENU on the TV, does the MENU display normally on the screen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've had it for about four years and the problem started about a month ago. Its connected to digital rabbit ears and a blu ray player. I disconnected the hdmi cable for the blu ray and the problem remains.

Thank you for the reply. What I was wondering, was did the problem occur with the Blu Ray player as well as the Rabbit ears?

Also, when the screen goes black, are you able to pull up the MENU on the TV?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the problem occurs with both the bluray and the rabbit ears on. right now the screen is not going black. I can see the picture but when I change the channel I hear a loud squeal. then I turned on the bluray player and the screen went black. I could not open the menu screen or change the channel. I turned the tv off and then on and I could the bluray main menu. the tv still makes noise when I change the channel

I understand Ron. This can be caused by one of several things, but unfortunately they are all internal to the TV, and not corrected via any settings or adjustments. The possible faults are the Power Supply, or the Backlight Inverters (most common cause, and actually a problem UI diagnosed earlier today). Are you looking to try and repair this set yourself? Or are you looking for a repair estimate and service locator?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to repair it myself. o.k. now the tv has gone black watching normal channels. I hear the tv but see no picture. I turned off all lights and shined a flashlight at the tv at an angle and I see a faint picture.

That is a good test, and this means that either the Inverter board is faulty (has stopped lighting up the LCD lighting), or the power supply output that feeds the Inverter has failed. This can be due to either one.

Do you have a meter and can you test the DC output voltage to the inverter to see if it's missing?

Or are you looking to go with the most likely culprit and a link to the part?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have a volt meter now. I would like to know the most likely culprtit and also links to both parts. depending on the cost I may replace one or both just to be sure.

Thank you for the reply. The site that I usually order parts from (, is showing as out of stock on both the Inverters and the Power Supply Board.

The Power Supply is available used on Ebay however at the link below:

The Inverters (Slave and Master), are available at the following link for purchase:

If you need further assistance let me know, and please do not forget to rate my service accordingly.