Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

I have a sceptre 32" flat screen tv that is about 1 year old

I have a sceptre 32" flat screen tv that is about 1 year old and I went to turn it on and the screen was really dark you can still see things on it so I know it still comes on and the red power off light turns blue when I power it on I just don't know what is wrong with it the screen is darker toward the middle. what should I do?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Can you please get me the full model number off of the back of the TV?

Additionally, what is connected (DVD, cable box, etc.) and do you have the same issue regardless of which device you select?

Is the TV's internal MENU also dark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

x322bvhd8wxesbv2 and all that is connected is an xbox 360 but even with it not on the main screen is still like that

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply.

Let's try a reboot of the TV.

Please shut the TV off, then disconnect it from power. Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 15 seconds then release. Then plug the set back in and power it up. Do you still have the same problem?

If so, is there any buzz or hum coming from the screen?

Additionally, have you had this set for just over, or just under a year?
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok when I done that I can no longer see anything on the screen where as before I could see the channels and the menu box when I pressed menu and the tv makes no noises other than a click when I press the power button and ive owned it for just a lil over a year

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Justin, the problem you were having was either due to a failing output on the power supply board that drives the Backlight Inverter, or the Backlight Inverter itself failing. Based on what's happened since the reset, this would indicate that the Power Supply output to the backlights is what is shorted and what is causing the problem. We need to replace the power board in order to fix this problem. It is common with these sets, and a nuisance, but something that I see everyday on the site. Are you looking to make this repair yourself? Or are you looking for a repair estimate and service locator?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im pretty handy so what kind of repair are we talking about and where would one get the needed parts?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The board that you need is at the link below for purchase. The power supply in the Sceptre actually It's a simple swap out, and no soldering is needed. Give it about 15 minutes with a screwdriver and you're done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pt-MIP329FL-REV-1-0-SCEPTRE-X32-Power-Supply-C4-LN-1-1-1-7-/111159540514

If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to rate me before logging off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just not sure if a $200 tv is worth a $100 repair. Its kinda frustrating that the tv didn't last no longer then it did! is there any thing that could be done differently to help prevent this?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid that is what it will take to repair this set. No, there's nothing else that could be done, and it was nothing that you did. It's simply the state of new LCD screen and Plasma TV's. All make and model are known for these failures, and you could have two of the same exact model TV, used the same, etc., but one will last for 4 years and the other for 6 months. Things are literally not made the way that they used to be. Please don't take this the wrong way, but in order to have less of a chance of this happening, stay away from the "off brand" TV's, like Sceptre, Westinghouse, etc, and stick with LG or Toshiba as they tend to have less failures like these from what I've seen.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up with you and see If you've received all the information you needed. If so, please don't forget to rate my service accordingly. Thank you! Aric