Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

have Samsung TV Model LN52A850S1F Visual distortion 3 horizontal

have Samsung TV Model LN52A850S1F Visual distortion 3 horizontal lines plus jumping distortion in lower right corner
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Dan :

Thanks for the question. I'm Dan.

Dan :

Let me know when you've joined the chat.

Customer:

here

Dan :

Great. Welcome!

Dan :

I've looked over your problem.

Dan :

What do you have connected to the TV? Cable box? DVD player?

Customer:

both

Dan :

OK. Do you get these distortions with both of those inputs?

Dan :

Or just cable?

Customer:

yes everything distorted Sure its a TV problem

Dan :

OK turn the TV on so you can see the distortions...

Dan :

Now grab the original Samsung remote and press MENU. Is the menu in front of the distortion, or behind it?

Customer:

ok

Customer:

behind it

Dan :

OK.

Dan :

I'd really like to see this...

Dan :

Any way you can get me a short video?

Customer:

file://localhost/Users/seanhenr/iPhoto%20copy/iPhoto%20Library/Masters/2013/09/21/20130921-155127/IMG_1590.MOV

Dan :

That file isn't accessible to me. Can you put it on YouTube, or can you email it toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX?

Customer:

have taken video on iPhone not sure how to get it to you

Dan :

You can upload it to a sharing site like YouTube.com, or email it toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Customer:

Just sent video toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Dan : XXX@XXXXXX.XXX?
Customer:

yes

Dan :

OK. We should meet back here in 1 hour. Video files sometimes take a little while to get through the servers.

Dan :

That will also give me a few minutes to analyze it and determine the problem.

Customer:

ok

Dan :

OK, see you in 1 hour.

Dan :

You can leave this window open.

Dan :

If you need to close it, you can just return to JustAnswer.com then click "My Questions" at the top.

Dan :

Are you here?

Customer:

yes

Dan :

OK, I had a chance to look at your video.

Dan :

It's a perfect example of a defective TAB bond on the back of the LCD panel.

Dan :

TAB bonds are permanent connections between the LCD panel's electrode layers and the rest of the TV's circuitry.

Dan :

It's not uncommon for those TAB bonds to break or become degraded over time.

Dan :

Usually, the TV will "normalize" after a little while because the heat being generated inside the TV will cause the bonds to expand and make contact again.

Dan :

But as you've seen, after a while that doesn't happen anymore... the bonds begin to fail completely.

Dan :

I'm sorry to say, but that's really bad news!

Dan :

Because the only option is to have the LCD panel replaced (the screen), and there is no way in the world that would be cost effective.

Dan :

Your money would be better spent on a replacement TV. It might even be cheaper, too!

Dan :

I'll double check the price to be sure. Standby.

Dan :

Yep... $1,005 just for the part.

Dan :

Absolutely crazy. I know.

Dan :

If the TV is warranted, you'll want to contact the guarantor.

Dan :

If it's just barely outside the warranty, you should still call to complain about this.

Dan :

Since it's a terminal failure.

Dan :

Otherwise, it's time to replace the TV. Sorry to bear such bad news, but I hope I've answered your question!

Dan :

Questions for me? Anything I can clarify?

Customer:

ok

Customer:

no

Dan :
OK, well if you have any other questions, just ask. If you're finished, please close the chat by leaving a positive rating. To do that, just click one of the smiley faces on your screen.
Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.