Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

I have a TV, Model No LN52A630M1 FXZA which does not come on

I have a TV, Model No LN52A630M1 FXZA which does not come on right away when I turn it on. The last few days the picture as come on after 4 hours and the next day after 10 hours of leaving it on. The sound comes on through our DVR, but as I said, no picture. The small light on the bottom right keeps blinking slowly.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Dan :

Thanks for the question. I'm Dan.

Dan :

Let me know when you've joined the chat.

Customer:

I'm here

Dan :

Excellent. Welcome!

Dan :

I'm just reading over your problem.

Dan :

OK, thanks.

Dan :

When the TV eventually turns on... how does it function?

Dan :

Normally?

Customer:

Yes, it is working normally once it comes on. The last couple of nights we have left the TV on just to be able to watch it in the morning

Dan :

OK. Can you look on the back of the TV and tell me the date of manufacture?

Customer:

It is hanging on the wall (60") so can't se the date, but we have had it about 3 years

Dan :

OK, here's why we need to know when it was manufactured...

Dan :

Back in March 2012, Samsung settled a class-action lawsuit over this issue.

Dan :

It's caused by faulty capacitors on the TV's power supply circuit board.

Dan :

But the TV is only covered if it was manufactured in December 2008, or earlier.

Dan :

If it was made after that, we'll need to do our own repairs or pay a local shop to do it for us.

Dan :

So the date is pretty important.

Dan :

If you want, we can just discuss both options (Samsung repair vs. You repair) and you can get the date later when you're able.

Customer:

So what can you tell me about repair

Dan :

Anything you want to know. It's pretty simple.

Dan :

We would just need to replace the TV's power supply board.

Dan :

You would remove the TV's rear panel...

Dan :

Then disconnect the wiring harnesses from the board...

Dan :

Then the screws.

Dan :

A brand new one is $94.

Dan :

Well it's $144, but you get $50 back when you send them your faulty board.

Customer:

who does this

Dan :

You could.

Dan :

Or a handy neighbor.

Customer:

no we cannot do it ourselves

Dan :

But if you contact Samsung directly to discuss the lawsuit settlement, they will do it for free.

Dan :

The TV will need to have been made before Dec 2008, though.

Customer:

Ok, we'll try to call them and see what happens.

Dan :

Excellent. I think that's the best option.

Customer:

Do you have a contact number for me

Dan :

Yes. Standby.

Dan :

OK, here it is: 1-888-899-7602

Dan :

That's the class-action number.

Dan :

If you need anything else, just ask.

Dan :

If you're finished, you can close this chat by leaving a positive rating on the service I've provided. You should see some smiley faces on your screen that will let you do that.

Customer:

we can't take the TV off the wall ourselves to prove the manufacturing date....

Customer:

Does Samsung send somebody to the house to do reparis

Dan :

Depends on their agreement with your local Samsung servicers. Sometimes.

Dan :

As for getting it off the wall... I'm afraid I cannot help with that.

Dan :

You'll need to borrow a neighbor or other friend nearby.

Customer:

hehe

Customer:

OK, thanks for your input

Dan :

My pleasure! Best of luck, and don't hesitate to get back to me if you need anything else.

Dan :

Even after you leave a rating here, the chat is still accessible to you.

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.