Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

19" Samsung, Model LN - T1954H A; air reception with antenna;

19" Samsung, Model LN - T1954H A; air reception with antenna; have received all local channels, very clear for two years, now only "weak signal" all channels with no sound.
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-DO you have a converter box or is the antenna hooked straight to the tv?
-Did anything change when it stopped working? (tv get moved, someone mess with settings, etc.)
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have any different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Direct connect

Nothing changed

abt 2 yr

No other devices connected

Have you done the channel scan again yet?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did the channel scan. It indicated that 11 channels were scanned successfully. However, when I used the remote, each channel number appeared in the left upper corner on a black screen that then turned to snow.

Did it say digital or analog?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When you push channel up or down now, what channels does it go to?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Our local channels are 2, 4, 5, 7, 44, 56

When I start at 2 and push the up arrow on CH, I get 2, 8, 11, 19, 20, 23

If you run it again, does it do the same thing again?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I use the channel selector starting at 2, it goes through the same channels each time. So, it appears that when I do the repeat scan, it isn't recognizing the signals of our local channels. None of the channels that are shown have any programs in our area.

Were you watching it and the channel just dropped out, or did you just have no channels once when you turned it on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This all started after the set had been off for about 6 hours. IT had been working very well before this. When I turned it on, there were no channels shown and the message Weak signal appeared on a black screen. The message was repeated when the remote was used to select channels.

Do you have anything else hooked to the tv? (dvd, game, etc.)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I do a rescan, do I have to enter the channel numbers that I want the scanner to recognize before I activate the scanning mode?

No, you should just be able to run the auto scan and it should pick them all up by itself.

Have you tried another antenna?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is what I thought.

No, I don't have another antenna. My wife said with certainty that we needed a new antenna. I thought that if it was an antenna problem, we should get at least some signal on one channel.

If the antenna completely stopped pulling in a signal,would we expect to get the "weak signal" prompt on every channel. Also there has been no snow flake pattern until I did the first rescan.

No, if the antenna is bad you wont get anything at all.

It is possible you have a bad antenna, but also a possibility you have a bad tuner in the tv. I would recommend replacing the antenna to start since replacing the tuner is probably not worth repair.

Also yes, if you unplugged the antenna completely you probably would get a weak signal message.