Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Sharp 42SB45U LCD tv. We had a lightning strike very

I have a Sharp 42SB45U LCD tv. We had a lightning strike very close to our house. Since then the green power stays on but no response. Cannot turn it off or on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

How long have you owned the set for?

Additionally, when you press the power button on the TV itself, do you get a distinct "click" sound from within the TV?

Does the power light on the set ever blink at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The power light did blink initially, but now a steady green. We have had the set for over three years. There is no click.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

Was there any other devices affected when the lightning struck- specifically, was there a cable box that failed along with the TV?

Also, if you unplug the set from power, and plug it back in, do you then hear a click sound?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The cable box was unaffected. I do not hear a distinct click upon plugging the set back in.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay, there are two boards that are our possible culprits as to what have failed. The Power Supply is very common, as is the mainboard.

Do you have a meter, the ability to measure voltages and are looking to repair this TV yourself?

Or are you looking for the most likely culprit and a link to the board?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i do not have the ability to do my own repairs. Should I seek a repair shop and have them fix it. Any idea what the cost might be....

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Whenever a TV doesn't power up as a result of a power surge, there are two possibilities as to what was damaged. The first, is the Power Supply Board, or more specifically the capacitors on this board will absorb the brunt of the surge, will explode or short internally causing the Power Supply to see a dead short and not supply the DC voltages to the other circuits in the set.

The other culprit, is the Mainboard- which is the board that houses all of the Audio/Video jacks on the back of the TV. The shield on any of the RCA, HDMI or Antenna Inputs acts as a ground/drain for any voltage that travels down the ground of a cable connected to it and can short out this board. Because the Mainboard supplies the communication to the Power Supply to allow the set to turn on, either of them can be your problem. Voltage tests must be performed at the Power Supply Outputs to determine if IT or the Mainboard are causing your problem.

The average cost for this type of repair is going to be between $200-$250 parts and labor depending on which is found at fault. If you'd like, you can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to rate me before logging off.

Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company