Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Mr. Bob -- I have a 1985 Memorez Model No. TM-4510 Projection

Mr. Bob --

I have a 1985 Memorez Model No. TM-4510 Projection Television. The picture is not clear and sharp and there are red shadows. What do you suggest?
Hello and thank you for the question.
One of the CRT "Guns" being out would not cause the set to be out of focus. Is the picture almost a 3D type effect, like the red,blue and green do not line up?

Is the problem still apparent when you bring up the TV's built in MENU (not the cable menu)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes -- it is a shadow or 3D effect. There is a word in black (for example) and you can see the same word again in "red" just behind the original. (Correction: I meant to say antenna instead of amplifier.)

If we open the inside front box to adjust the convergence on the control panel, the R-POS-V , etc do not respond. We do not see any green or red in the test pattern.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, if you mean the control panel. The convergence adjustment on the test patterns do not respond to the control panel knobs.

Thank you for the reply.

The problem, and the reason that you cannot adjust it out using the Convergence MENU, is that the Convergence IC chips(there are two Sanyo STK chips in the set), have failed. This problem is very very common for all of the (3) CRT color gun sets that were produced in this era. Whether Mitsubishi, Sony, Pioneer, etc., they ALL use the same chips and all have the same problem.

The solution is to have the (2) Sanyo STK chips replaced (they are located by the Flyback in this set), and also inspect and replace as necessary any out of spec resistors, or open Pico fuses in the Convergence Circuit that usually fail as a result of the IC chips burning out.

Average cost for this type of repair is around $250 parts and labor if you hire a Tech.

If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com\

If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to rate me bfroe logging off.