TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

I can no longer get captions to appear on my TV. I ask for

I can no longer get captions to appear on my TV. I ask for "captions" and get the request
on the screen, but captions do not appear.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

Is this tv connected to a cable box/converter,satellite receiver,digital converter etc ?

Or directly to the cable from the wall outlet ?

Did you change anything in your setup lately, that is as far as equipment goes ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

TV is connected to a cable box. No change in my setup for years.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then when you call up for closed captions , is it in the cable box menu or the TV's menu ?

Or with the cable box remote or TV's remote ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't think I have a cable box menu, so it must be in the TV's menu. I call for the captions by using a remote that has buttons labeled TV/CAP/TEXT (one button) and a second button that is labeled CH 1/2.

When I push these buttons, on the TV screen I see the appropriate

response, but the caption does not appear. That is my problem for today.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If you are connected to a cable box then it will be the one that controls the CC (closed captions) , so it would be the first place to look for it.

Right now it looks like you are using the cable box remote .

I can tell you that the correct closed captions will be CC1 (closed caption 1) but I would need to know what you are seeing.

Could you tell who is your cable company or is there a model number on the cable box ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The cable box is from COMCAST. Model number is XXXXX

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then I`m not sure how you were getting the captions before but with these Comcast box it does have to be enabled in the primary "user settings" menu.

To get to that menu , turn off the cable box and press the menu/settings button on the remote.

This should open a different menu with various items including closed caption , scroll down to it and set it to "enabled" or ON then just power up the cable box again and you should have CC

Hope this help and please take the time to rate my answer if that does the trick , otherwise do not rate at all , just let me know and we`ll see what can be done.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but something came up and I will have to step out.

I will opt out and your question will be automatically re-posted for other experts to step in .

You don`t have to do anything and another expert should be with you shortly.

By the way , don`t reply to me on this otherwise the question will not be re-posted automatically .

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

I'm following up after Jack with your problem. Before you attempt to gain access to the internal menu on the cable box, I'm going to suggest you unplug the power cord from it, for about 20 minutes. It may be more likely the box locked up when you stopped seeing Closed Captions. So do that first, then turn off the box after checking it and press the MENU button immediately ON THE BOX, not the remote. Leave the TV turned on to display the secret setup menu on the cable box.

Check to see if CAPT is turned on, not off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My cable box does not have a Menu Button on the box itself. I'll turn off

the power to the cable box, if you want me to, but after 20 minutes and I

re-power it, what are my next steps?

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Well, after doing the reset, start with observing if captions has been restored. You had captions previously, and the Cable box controls its own captions if you're connected to the VIDEO input on your TV set, like Vid 1 or 2 on the TV set.

If your TV turns on, and shows Channel 3 or 4, then the Cable box and your TV set BOTH have Capt or Caption settings in the menu display on each unit. BOTH have to be turned on to get captions.

Your box is definitely the older box used when Cable was moving from the old Analog to Digital channels, so it's pretty basic. It was a first generation unit. Later generation units look like the HD boxes with buttons on the front.

Now keep in mind this -- your TV is totally incapable of doing Closed Captions. The cable box is required simply because it has to convert their Digital signal over to an Analog signal that the TV set can read. So the box is the most critical part of your system here, and without it, you won't see Captions. It has to do the decoding on Channel 3 or 4, and on the Video input to your TV.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All is OK, so, so long. ART

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like the reset or the Caption on/off in the Menu fixed the issue. It had to be one or the other. Glad you checked them. If you would, please give me a high rating, or reply back to me if you need. Our goal is to satisfy you.

TV Tech1, Technician
Experience: 30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No more needed. Thanx

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Thank You for using Just Answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here