Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

My TV is not connection is not working - it keeps turning off

My TV is not connection is not working - it keeps turning off & on - it says VIDEO on the screen, notw it Rethink Possible. Now it says AT&S U-verse.
It was working fine, until I tried to get to the shows I have recorded. & it went nuts!!!
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

What is the model number off of the back of the TV?

When did this problem occur?

How are you getting your cable broadcasts on the set- is it from a cable box, or direct cable from the wall, or how?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I don't know the model number - I can't move the TV to look. It happened about 1/2 hour ago. I think it's a cable box - I'm not sure.

Can you look up my records to find the answers?

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
I don't have any record here, we're not the cable provider or anything like that this is a 3rd party tech support.

However, try this and shut your TV off, then unplug the cable box from power for 10 seconds, and plug it back in. Once it's rebooted, turn it on, then turn the TV on. Let me know if you have the same problem so we can determine if it's your TV or the cable box.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Now I have blue & green lines up & down on the screen & it say AT&T U-verse - now it went blank again

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
On the TV itself press MENU- don't use the ATT remote even though it's programmed- use the TV remote, or MENU button on the TV.

Does the TV's MENU show up normally?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

It says - tv/cable etc - now it's gone & black again.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
No, not Input press MENU. What I need to know if if the MENU appears clear and normal, and also looks skewed by the lines like the Cable TV picture does.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Now it looks Ok. Timer - TV/cable -ch program - etc

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Okay, what we're trying to determine is if we have a problem with the Cable Box, or the TV. So you're saying now the TV's MENU images look fine. How about when you try to watch the Cable programming now?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I can't - nothing comes on

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Do you have a DVD player that you can test on this TV to see if the TV works fine with another device?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

No

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry but right now it sounds like you have a fault in the TV, which will require service. Possible causes are power supply capacitors failing, or Sustain Board if the set's a Plasma, or the LCD controller if it's an LCD TV. Unfortunately this isn't something we can reset via any settings and you will need a Tech to come to the house in person to diagnose and repair the TV. If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Ok - I'll have to get a repair man in the house - Can you make sure they don't charge me more than the $28.00 on my credit card?

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
I understand. Yes, once my service is rated, I can submit the question to Customer Service to make sure you are not charged beyond the initial $28.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.