Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I just ask the question on repair of an on/off switch on a

I just ask the question on repair of an on/off switch on a vizio 37" tv no answer!
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 11 months ago.
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Tim I think that this TV set is approx.10 yrs old+- # XXXXX

SER # XXXXX

OK what exactly is wrong with the tv Charles?
When you plug it in or turn it on, what does it do? (light blink, click noise, etc.)

Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Tim, I told you that I followed Vizio's Tech response. The only light on is the little orange light. When I unpluyg the tv from the wall socket , hold down the on/ff switch for 30 sec. ten replug the tv into the wall, the power(orange) ligt comes on. then i depress to on/off switch nothing happens also with the remote which has new batteries and flashes when I depress the power on switch. Yesterday the orange light flashed rapidly to green then orange. The Tv turned on briefly, but niot since Friday.

I am sorry Charles, if you gave that information in a previous question then it must not have gone all the way through our system because I have no information like that at all. I do apologize if you had to repeat yourself.

When you say the tv turned on briefly, how long did it stay on for and what showed on the screen? Also when it shut off, did it do anything odd?

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Tim, when the picture returned it was very good, I just left it on for a while. I don't know the time left on probably for a few hours. It turned itself off when I wasn't present. THis procedure is getting very frustrating!

Ok, thats not a good problem to have on this tv....I know this model in and out, left and right. I had 3 in here doing that same thing a while back, we troubleshoot and troubleshoot over and over again, working with vizio and everything...it ended up that the lcd panels were going bad causing the problem.

The bad news is when the lcd panel goes bad, there is nothing you can do as it will cost more to repair than replace.

We would need to do some tests to verify that this is what is wrong with your set, I can only be so certain without testing. If you have/know how to use a meter, I can help you with this.

There is a slight chance its not the panel, it could be a power issue or a main board issue, these normally run $250-350 if you have a tech do the troubleshooting and replacement.

I am about 95% sure though that you have a bad panel here.

I am very sorry for the bad news Charles, If you have a meter and want to troubleshoot, please let me know.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.