Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

hi

hi
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Sony,

Nathan :

Could you give me the full model number of the tv please?

Customer:

hi there

Customer:

yws

Customer:

its a sony bravia model number KDL46EX720

Nathan :

Thank you for the info,

Customer:

no problem

Nathan :

Unfortunately, the symptoms you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, typically a faulty power supply or main board (the 2 most common failure points). This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

Nathan :

Is the tv staying on at all, or if you try to turn it on, does it immediately power off?

Customer:

if i unplug the tv and turn it back on the tv stays on for like 3 mins then shuts off again

Customer:

i have the tv pluged into a cabinet socket

Nathan :

Thanks for the info,

Nathan :

this, coupled with the red light flashing 4 times indicates a faulty LD board.

Customer:

wow really

Nathan :

This is part of the system that controls the dimming of the LED lighting in the set, which adjusts the brightness of the picture

Nathan :

Yes, this is something that will require repairs to correct.

Nathan :

There is no simple fix (like a reset, or settings adjustment) that would fix this problem.

Customer:

i bought this tv about 3 years ago for cash do you think its worth fixing

Nathan :

I was just going to mention that,

Nathan :

Unfortunately, it probably is not going to be worth it.

Nathan :

Since you're past the warranty,

Customer:

paid about 900.00 for it cash

Nathan :

you'd usually be looking at around $300 in parts and labor to fix it,

Nathan :

I know it cost much more than that when new,

Nathan :

and you can't exactly replace it for that,

Nathan :

but the costs have come down quite a bit.

Customer:

yes i think the stores were selling them for like 1500.00

Nathan :

Typically, once a tv is beyond about 4 years old, we generally consider them to not be worth the cost of repairs any longer, just because technology changes so quickly.

Nathan :

You can certainly go for repairs, but you may find that you'd be better off putting that investment toward a new set.

Customer:

i love samsung have 2 in my house and their great not a big fan of sony

Nathan :

You can get a new LED in the $600 range for a 46" set these days

Customer:

i still have a samsung plasma in my bedroom from 2004

Nathan :

I like plasmas as well, I prefer them to LCD/LED, but that's just my personal opinion.

Nathan :

In general, I recommend the panasonic plasma tv's for most of my clients. They have a great picture, are reasonable price, and tend to be quite reliable.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying a new tv there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50-100 (depending on size) which is well worth it. You can get the square trade warranties on Amazon as well.

Customer:

ok so in my family room where the sony is now i havw 2 big windows which is better lcd or plasma?

Nathan :

I prefer panasonic because, for the most part, they make all of their own components (especially the capacitors, which samsung and LG outsource, and have a high failure rate on)

Nathan :

If you get a lot of ambient light, plasma may be better, because they tend to have a lot deeper blacks.

Nathan :

where the LED may look more washed out.

Customer:

ok i think its time to go buy a new TV tomorrow

Nathan :

Plasmas tend to be getting phased out though, they aren't as profitable as the LEDs, so they are becoming more rare. The other downside to them is that they tend to be thicker, which may matter to you if you're trying to have a slim looking tv hung on the wall,

Nathan :

and they use quite a bit more power (about 4x what an LED does). Still, it isn't excessive, and I think those tradeoffs are worth it.

Nathan :

Up to you though, of course. I'd just go to the store and look around and see what looks best to your eye.

Customer:

well this tv is sitting on a piece of furniture

Customer:

like i said not a big fan of sony products they never last for me

Nathan :

I have the same opinion.

Nathan :

I would go with a pioneer, sharp, or samsung

Customer:

yes indeed is my sony an LCD or LED oh yeah it has 3D too

Customer:

is my sony tv led or lcd

Nathan :

Yours is LED

Customer:

is my sony tv LED or LCD?

Customer:

yes

Nathan :

The screen itself is LCD technology, on both LCD and LED sets,

Nathan :

the difference being the backlighting on the LCD sets are like a fluorescent type bulb, while the LED have LED lighting

Customer:

i might move up to a 50"

Customer:

this sony tv cant even play usb 2.0 avi files

Nathan :

If you could get by without it for awhile, you might also consider waiting a bit, you usually can get the best deals of the year between Thanksgiving and Christmas when everything goes on holiday sales, and new models start coming out so last year's models go cheap.

Customer:

yes true

Customer:

my wife will probably send me out tomorrow to get a new tc lol

Nathan :

Also, personally I wouldn't bother with a "smart tv", you'll pay an extra $200-300 for those features, and you can get all the functions from a sub $100 bluray player, appletv, roku, etc that you probably already own anyway.

Customer:

yes i have apple tv

Customer:

so what is smart tv then?

Nathan :

Meaning that the tv has built in wifi/internet connectivity, has apps on it (netflix, youtube, etc)

Customer:

ahhhh ok like apple tv

Nathan :

You can save quite a bit by buying a tv without those functions, which typically are slow or glitchy anyway, and you have those same functions on the appletv, so why pay for it twice.

Customer:

yes thanks for the heads up

Nathan :

Yes exactly, just built in to the tv. Just one more thing to "break", if you know what I mean.

Nathan :

You're very welcome.

Nathan :

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news today about the tv, but I hope I've got you on the right track as far as getting it replaced.

Customer:

yes thanks for the help at least im not going to sit around tonight trying to fix it

Customer:

plus i always wanted a tv with usb port to watch my avi files which this tv cannot

Nathan :

Well, you might actually try unplugging power to the set overnight. It may be enough to reset the system and get it working again for awhile. Not a permanent fix, but may buy you a bit of time to shop around a little more for the replacement.

Customer:

great will try that

Customer:

thanks again

Nathan :

You're welcome.

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a good day,

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.