Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My 42" LG 42LE5400 LED TV is 3 years old and has a thick red

My 42" LG 42LE5400 LED TV is 3 years old and has a thick red line across the top of the screen that appeared 2 days ago. I am disabled and live alone and don't know what to do. Can you suggest how I should proceed????
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tv,

Nathan :

can you tell me how thick this line is?

Nathan :

Can you also tell me what sources you are using (antenna or basic cable, cable/satellite box, dvd player, etc), and if this problem happens on all sources?

Customer:

I have Brighthouse basic cable and a blu ray dvd player that is connected to internet so I can watch Netflix. I just now started Netflix and the picture is fine. No red bar across the top.

Customer:

so based on that, what do you think I should do about the red bar on the TV picture????

Customer:

waiting for an answer........time now is 11:25

Customer:

the line is about 1-2 inches thick.

Customer:

and the line (or bar) is about 2 feet wide across the top.

Nathan :

Thank you for the information,

Customer:

Do you have any more questions before you offer any suggestions?

Nathan :

I'm sorry that I missed you earlier,

Customer:

whew! I thought you deserted me.

Nathan :

Since this seems to be happening only with cable, it would tend to indicate that it is either a signal problem, or an issue with the tv's built in tuner,

Nathan :

No I just didn't see you online initially, so I had stepped out for a bit.

Nathan :

Can you please confirm, you are using basic cable (coax cord direct from wall jack to the tv), and not using a cable box?

Nathan :

And can you also check several different tv channels, and see if it happens on all of them?

Customer:

there is a little box the company added several months ago about 5x4 inches made by cisco model DTA 170HD

Nathan :

That is a digital transport adapter, and that is very helpful to know, thank you.

Customer:

maybe a clue: when I ran the auto tune twice. I got a message that said something like "no channels - check your cable connection" or words to that effect

Nathan :

But you are still seeing normal tv channels, just with the red bar at the top?

Customer:

yes.

Customer:

great picture otherwise

Customer:

there is another small black box behind the TV that was installed when I got my internet that says Ubee brand with some green dot lights on it and some cables coming out of it. one is not connected

Nathan :

Okay, can you please look at the Cisco box, and find the power cord that is connected to it.

Nathan :

I want you to first turn off power to the tv, then unplug that power cord to the cisco UTA box for at least 60 seconds, then plug it back in. You can then turn the tv back on

Customer:

the short gray line that's not connected to anything may have been like that all along. No ne has been back there to disconnect it

Customer:

another possible clue: I have heard squirrels in my attic. If they chewed on a cable, if it runs thru the attic, could that explain the problem??

Customer:

but it looks like I would have no picture if that were the case

Nathan :

It's possible, but not likely. With the system you have, it's a digital signal, and digital signals are sort of "all or nothing". If the cable line was bad, you would have no picture at all.

Nathan :

Yes, you're exactly right.

Nathan :

The ubee box is probably your cable modem (internet connection)

Nathan :

Let me know what happens after rebooting (unplugging) the cisco

Customer:

give me a minute to unplug, etc.......

Nathan :

No problem, take your time.

Customer:

HOT DAMN!!!! YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!!! THAT WORKED

Nathan :

Great! Very glad to hear it.

Nathan :

Very good to know it's not a hardware problem with the tv (can you say expensive?!)

Customer:

I WAS so worried. I am disabled and live on around 850 a month!!! I just had surgery on my foot and was hopping around on one foot to do the check on the TV.

Nathan :

I'm glad you were able to manage getting back behind there to fix it. I'm sure that was uncomfortable, but well worth it in the end.

Customer:

I will give you the BEST rating = excellent!! Thank you so much.

Customer:

I am SO happy I'm almost in tears.

Nathan :

You're very welcome. Have a great night, and I hope your foot heals up well!

Customer:

me too. I had enough problems before the surgery. trying to repair my body one thing at a time after being victim of a horrible crime that disabled me.

Customer:

you are the best. thanks again and good night!!!

Nathan :

Should you have any other questions, feel free to get back in touch. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you again,

Customer:

got it!!! good night!!

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.