Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Vizio VL470M wont power up. When power is supplied the "VIZIO"

Vizio VL470M won't power up. When power is supplied the "VIZIO" turns orange, indicating "Stand By" mode, but doesn't change to white and there is no sound or picture. Serial No. LQKEHBK3200534
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Vizio,

Nathan :

Unfortunately, the symptoms you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, typically a faulty power supply or main board (the 2 most common failure points). This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

Nathan :

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds,
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

Customer:

Seems like the power supply is okay... the standby light powers on at least, so possibly the power board then?

Nathan :

It could be either, really. It can have enough low voltage power to be in standby mode, but not be outputting the higher voltages required to actually fire up the display

Customer:

so a new power cord may be necessary as well?

Nathan :

No, not the cord.

Customer:

Ok, misunderstood what you meant by "power supply" then.

Nathan :

When I say power supply, I mean the internal power supply board. This is a circuit board with transformers, capacitors, etc that takes the power from the wall outlet, and adapts it to the different voltages that the tv operates off of.

Customer:

Is this the "power board"?

Nathan :

Yes, that would be known as the power board

Nathan :

Give the reset process I mentioned earlier a try,

Nathan :

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm a hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

However, as a general rule, if the tv is 42” or smaller, or more than 3-4 years old, it’s not going to be worth fixing, your money would be better invested in a new set. Being a 2009 model, yours is right on the verge of whether it would be worth repairs or not.

Customer:

Okay I will give the reset process a try in a bit.

Nathan :

Okay, let me know how it works out.

Nathan :

At that point, if needed, I can help you with finding parts, finding a local shop, or recommending a replacement set, whichever you prefer.

Customer:

You also mentioned that the "main board" might be an issue as well. Assuming the reset does not work. How would I know if it's the main board or power board that has failed?

Customer:

Thanks for the offer... I'm fairly handy so I'll probably give it a shot myself rather than spend that much money on a repair.

Nathan :

You wouldn't, at least not simply. You (or a technician) would have to dismantle the tv, and use a digital multi meter (and buy a service manual) to test all of the different output voltages of the power supply board to see if it is functioning properly, and if it seems to be, then the power supply would be the next to test.

Customer:

Ok. Obviously that cannot take place tonight. If need be, can I follow up over the next week or so to get guidance?

Nathan :

From what I've found so far though, even a used/reconditioned main board replacement for this model, which is hard to find, is going to be close to $200 (just for the part)

Nathan :

Yes, of course.

Nathan :

Just bookmark/favorite this page, or return to justanswer.com and click on MyQuestions, to get back in touch when you're ready to do so.

Customer:

Ok... and okay. I did price some power boards and they seemed reasonable. I guess the main board is another matter.

Customer:

Okay, thanks for your help tonight... at the end of the process if everything works out I'll be sure to tip for your help.

Nathan :

I've found some listings for it ranging from $100-200, but haven't found one in stock anywhere,

Nathan :

You're very welcome, and I appreciate that.

Customer:

okay... that should help guide my decision even more (fix/replace).

Thanks again.

Nathan :

You're very welcome, good luck!

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.